Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo K View Post
    then you don't know it because stop thief can destroy any item
    1) portal is an ability not an item
    2) a rogue did try to get rid of it with stop thief against me and he couldn't
    3) Read this thread (which is already a duplicate of another one): http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....ght=Stop+thief

unless something has changed very recently, I think I know this at least
    not being confrontational here, just pointing out certain facts for you..you can test it out if you want

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Stop thief does not remove portal.
    Benevolent Blade of Truth
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Sailas

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    portal is a suppport ability, it can be destroyed with priest and shriek though.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    So I've recently switched to using Serena and so far i've beaten every mage i've gone against! There were a couple close games, but if you're having trouble beating mages with Lance, try switching it up. Plus she's a lot of fun to play!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    yeah sorry .. portal has changed. used to be an item.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ayaribas View Post
    Speaker, stop thief doesn't get rid of portal (I know it because I play a majiya portal deck)
    Whoops! I guess I must have blasted some other item on his field><
    Spin Doctor of A1: Evolution in Theory

Thinking of joining a guild? Why not try out for the Acolytes of A1: Students today, Masters tomorrow

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    serena is definitely better against mages and a lot of times when i drop spell eater they're pretty screwed and will just quit. my biggest problem right now isn't mages but zaladar. if i
    turn 1 kris
    he usually plays fire eater snake which just screws me
    turn 2 nightprowler
    turn 3 aldon
    by turn four he kills either prowler and kris or aldon and prowler with his shadow ability and pings aldon with a dmt at that point i've got no board control and a fairly dead hand. any suggestions?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerOfTruth View Post
    Whoops! I guess I must have blasted some other item on his field><
    Unless it's fixed, you can cast ST when Portal is on the field but you cannot destroy it. Meaning that you can cast a card and not be able to target anything.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've never had too much trouble against the mages with my Achilles list. Not saying that they aren't hard games or that I have a flawless w/l/r against them, but knowing how they operate and their weaknesses is key. With enough practice, you can get that negative matchup to at least a 50/50 split, probably more.

Majiya is the toughest of the bunch for Lance. In particular, Infernal Gargoyles put up quite a wall, plus Maj's ability rape Nightshade. To beat her, generally sac Nightshades after T2 and examine your opening hand before Kris beats on T1. If your later sac choices are going to prove hard, pitching kris on t1 is actually better than playing him. Brutalis and the stoneskins are just too sturdy for kris to have an impact like he does against others. If you have other things you can afford to sac, by all means go for the early pressure, but kris just dies too easily. At the end of the day, winning or losing against Maj will be all about your fatties. Raven and Aeon are just too hard for Maj to kill, and lance's ability makes it even harder for portal-based variants.

In short, try to rely less on your early weenies and more on your cc fatties. It's okay to sac Stop, Thief and just use it when you happen to have it, since ToK is your only target and current Maj decks tend to rely so much on tempo play and costly allies that it takes them a while to get value off it. Try to time your Raven and Aeon plays just right for maximum impact. You only have a few of each and can't afford to let them go to waste.

Also, proper IGG manipulation is key. Remember to kill what you can before using your resources whenever what you draw could affect the rest of your turn. Also remember that Portal leaving play will NOT trigger IGG's draw. Lastly, remember that Maj often packs Shriek of Vengeance, since it has plenty of application (including the mirror) but Maj CAN and WILL blow up IGG when the opportunity arises. Sac extras like normal in the early game, but don't throw them away needlessly. You may need a spare.

Eladwen weenie decks are rather similar to Majiya, but the game is slightly less askew from how you'd normally play. Weenies are a little more important, since your opponent plays for early board control but a buff Nightshade can trump their cards with ease. However, Eladwen dealing 4 to allies instead of 3 means that she has an easier time taking out Aeon by comparison.

When going for the t5 board buyback after IGG, remember to play around Nova as much as possible. When saccing correctly, you'll often have a choice on T5 between an Anklebreaker or Jas/Raven. Use Anklebreaker if you already have a couple allies on board, OR Jas/Raven if your board is fairly clear. If your board is empty, there's no point in playing Anklebreaker to avoid a Nova. You WANT your opponent to spend their turn playing a nova to damage themselves and refill your hand. Also, if you cripple an ally with AB/Jas/Raven, you don't need to bother killing it, especially if you have IGG. If the enemy's best out is a Nova, You only gain value from the opponent killing their own cards. If they don't nova, your deck is EASILY capable of harassing multiple targets at once so it's no big deal if you have to attack more than one or two allies.

The biggest danger in Elad's arsenal is Armored Sandworm, only since it counters Anklebreaker and Nightshade attrition pretty hard. However, one hit with Raven and you can let that fatty sit in play doing nothing. There's also always Assassinate if need be, not to mention keeping it at bay with a well-timed Retreat while you deal with the rest of their board and wait for one of your more permanent solutions.

Gravebone is strong, but its strength lies in a huge flaw- IGG aboose. GB relies in powerful tempo plays, such as playing multiple bombs or playing a nova plus a fatty in the same turn thanks to his SE. However, your IGG matches the card advantage from his revivals and your allies are not only hasty tempo plays, but one of your allies on board is worth two of GB's thanks to all your stuns and disables.

Gravebone operates by using his shadow ability to both create powerful tempo plays AND grinding out card advantage. You have the cc and hastiness to counter his power plays, but what about his powerful card advantage? Sure, IGG helps, but how do you outplay GB?

Easy.

Don't kill allies.

Use Raven and Anklebreaker to debuff them instead. Other decks, like Wulven, already do this with Captured Prey, etc. However, they have a limited number of these cards and GB typically will have ways to sacrifice the targeted ally (or sever ties). Lance's various attack debuffs, however, are near infinite in supply, making the deck essentially the best way to counter GB. One smack from Raven keeps Ogloth in check indefinitely, two smacks with an Anklebreaker renders Infernal Gargoyle useless, etc. Add in Jasmine's ability, and you have as many ways to screw over GB as they have self-sacrificial outs. Just keep up pressure the whole game and render his bombs ineffective, and GB matchups should be yours.
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My experiences with mages is a lot different than dndfreak primarily because i dont ise kris or raven and instead use assasination and Earthen protector and spell eater bands. The aeon/ep comno can be defeated by nova if you dont play it right, but ita far drom
    The only combo and both cards are good on therr own.

Key to beating mages is early boar controlvfollowedigg anklebreaker and spell eaters. Things like IG and Sandworm arent a problem when you use assasination in theory.

Never forget tho that sometimes maj and elad will just get a good draw and shit stomp any deck in there path