Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Rogue vs Mage strategy help!!

so anyone else noticed an impossible losing streak vs mages? majiya and eld, we have only 1 armor, spelleater that counters the mage, but none that can protect our allies, and since we don't have the kind of buff warrior or priests have, our ally is so weak against nukes. so far, i've taken 1 spelleater (cause against every other hero its useless) and 1 radiant sunlight (to stop the mage from nuking off an important ally or to stop wolf chain their ability). i also put in a whitehelm but not sure if the its worth it. anyone got any suggestions? putting in more spelleater would seem like an obvious choice but that takes way too many spots and effects performance against other heroes.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Putting radiant sunlight sounds like a no-no. Whats your current list? Posting it up would definitely help us help you.
    Spin Doctor of A1: Evolution in Theory

Thinking of joining a guild? Why not try out for the Acolytes of A1: Students today, Masters tomorrow

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerOfTruth View Post
    Putting radiant sunlight sounds like a no-no. Whats your current list? Posting it up would definitely help us help you.
    ty for replying ^^ can you please explain why radiant sunlight is a nono? at 2 cost saves you 2 turns of a powerful nuke so you can get your protector out, and also that card is a killer against wolfs.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by 986303302@qq.com View Post
    ty for replying ^^ can you please explain why radiant sunlight is a nono? at 2 cost saves you 2 turns of a powerful nuke so you can get your protector out, and also that card is a killer against wolfs.
    Okay, lets say you play radiant sunlight on turn 2 or 3. This means that outside of Kris, you do not get to play any allies. The mage will be putting an ally down ahead of you. In the current environment, Priest of Light is a better option.
    Spin Doctor of A1: Evolution in Theory

Thinking of joining a guild? Why not try out for the Acolytes of A1: Students today, Masters tomorrow

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    destroy their Tome of Knowledge cards, a mage without a hand is a dead mage. also brigette and aeon help soak up the spells while protecting your other allies. try to keep an ally or two in your hand in case of supernova. and save lance's ability until you really need to use it, like right after a supernova.

check mclamdc vs. SolomonGrundy
    I had terrible luck drawing allies after playing the first aeon, but still pulled out a win

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerOfTruth View Post
    Okay, lets say you play radiant sunlight on turn 2 or 3. This means that outside of Kris, you do not get to play any allies. The mage will be putting an ally down ahead of you. In the current environment, Priest of Light is a better option.
    i don't usually use it for the first nuke, the cost is too much, coupled with lighting, we almost 100% will get a board wipe when they use their ability. i'm talking about the 2nd time they use the ability. POTL is indeed is pretty good. i brought 2 in my deck, but still, the problem remains mages have virtually no downtime to set up their ally, even if we were neck by neck with the board control, all he has to do is turn 4 lighting, we would have 0 allys left. while facing at least 1-2 ally on their side. now we get out a raven and haste it to disable one of their ally, then they just fireball it + ability. almost all the mages i played against uses this strategy. Against Eld, i have a chance to come back if he doesn't draw research fast enough, i can use my ankelebreaker to slowly turn the tide. but maijiya rarely loses her draw advantage. There is just no way to win against her. The only chance we win is if he got a really bad draw.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I play lance a lot!! Best way to deal with Mage is lay low, shrine of negates and night prowler. And an early board control. Assassinate and kris on t4 is better than any ability they can ever play. Dagger of unsummon means they lose a turn of casting and getting creatures as well. Base creatures you want are 4 kris, 4 puwen/dirk and 4 nightshade. Meaning they have to use spells to kill nightshade. Retreat is a great card for late game protectors you want ousted. Crimson vest is a must as is stop thief. And igg always helps, they just a few of many suggestions to dealing with mages. I agree they are a hard game to win against but not an auto lose. And don't play more than 3 allies at a time. Or else you will up s**t creak without an ally as the inevitable supernova happens.
    Anylitical super fans
    Entertaining timeless compadre

CARD SUGGESTIONS
    HOMUNCULI
    NEW FACTION/CLASS ALLY SUGGESTIONS
    LIEUTENANTS

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Heya people, I was about to post on the very same topic today.

I'm playing rogue and doing ok against most classes but having real trouble against (in order) Majiya, Nishaven, and Eladwen.

As far as I can see, I'm doing everything right, and it's a real close game until around turn 7-8. I'm fighting hard for board control with 2cc+3cc allies, I'm getting out IGG and Black Garb, I'm stealing their Tome of Knowledge, I'm sometimes even stripping their Supernova (yes it's Serena).

My thoughts:

1. Radiant Sunlight, why wouldn't this work? I can usually fight for board control up until around turn 8, when the mage's SECOND use of their ability comes up again. If I can force that out to t10, maybe my Aeon might live a moment longer...

2. Aeon + Earthen Protector... well, if I can get a slight edge on board control, laying out an Aeon would in theory screw up the mage, but one lightning plus one ability = one almost dead Aeon. Can I rely on nasty mage NOT killing Aeon in one turn, and allowing me to follow with Earthen Protector the next ? Even so, EP only has 5 health and Supernova would counter this, unless Aeon could buff EP to 5/6 on turn 8...

3. Crimson Vest - thanks Dima, but is that really so effective past the early game? My impression is that good mages will start with rush and then switch to burn... so I'll see very few allies from my opponent mage after t6...

4. Night Prowler - I did actually take this out of my deck since I didn't often find a chance to use it. Fighting for board control always seemed more important... should I try packing it in my backpack next to my wooly socks again, for specific use against mages?

5. Spelleater Bands - I understand they don't protect me from Lightning or Fireballs, right? Then what exactly are they going to save me from apart from plasma bolts and whatever it is Thaddeus does when he's angry, now that Eladwen can't target me directly anymore anyway...

6. Armored Sandworm - and old one but a good one to annoy mages. Survives nova and laughs at incoming fireballs. Downside is that he eats a lot of dirt. Worth trying?

7. Honored Dead - some late game healing?

Thanks if someone can say if any of at my points (yes i know, Im very organized) above are good suggestions.

Cheers

Farq the Orc
    Last edited by FarqTheOrc; 03-19-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    then dont put that many allys ond your deck serena can kill without lot of creeps and can discard oponent..really easy to beat mages
    there are more rogues than lance on SE =)