Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

A Guide to getting onto IRC

Hi all,

I'm pretty certain some of the newer members to the forum are a bit unfamiliar with IRC, so I thought I'd post this. It's a quick and dirty guide to get on IRC. It's not an in-depth listing of all the slash commands and tricks, but simply a way to get online so you can start playing those custom matches!

IRC is most easily used if you are on a computer, and GDC has created a couple of mirrors to the Shadow Era web interface with IRC built in a separate frame:

Live Server:
    http://shadowera.gondorian.com/gamechat/

Test Server:
    http://shadowera.gondorian.com/testchat/

To use IRC, all you have to do is specify a username. It can be anything you want it to be, but usually most players will use the same IRC name as their forum name (unless they're trying to go incognito ). You'll find most guild members will tend to place their guild's acronym in front of their IRC name. E.G. AA1-Seragyn, A1-Busti, TJ-Cwhit, ASF-Preybird.

Enter your chosen username, then fill in the Captcha keywords and click ok. On GDC's mirrors you'll be taken straight to the IRC Shadow Era room.

On the right hand side you can see a complete list of everyone online. Down the bottom is the message bar. Type what you want and it'll appear in the main window. This is the public space, and anyone can see what you type. If you want to send a message to someone in particular, you click on their name then select query from the sub-menu. A new chat tab will open up and anything you type will only go to that person. (Great for setting up tourney matches, or just catching up with a friend). To go back to public chat, you can click the Shadow Era tab up the top.

On mobile platforms, there are a couple of extra steps. Firstly you need to download an IRC client. I'm not familiar with all of them, but they should be quite similar. Download one and run it. I use AndChat for Android.

Chances are you'll need to put in a default username in all of these through their menu systems. As I'm not familiar with all of them, you'll need to follow their instructions. This username will be automatically applied every time you log in.

Shadow Era's room is part of the Freenode network, so make sure if you're given an option to choose your network, you use Freenode.

Anyway, once you're logged on, the biggest difference is that mobile IRC programs do not take you directly to Shadow Era's room, you need to tell it that's where you want to go. This is the command:

/j #Shadowera

the /j means join. (Pretty straightforward )

This will put you in the right chat room where you can set up games and chat to the other players.

Anyway, hope this helps to clear up any issues/misconceptions about IRC.
    Last edited by Preybird; 03-18-2012 at 12:45 AM.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good article for new players. Deserves a sticky IMO.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Great guide.

If you use my chat + game pages, there is also a handy GMT+0 clock in the corner and a "forum stalker" frame underneath the chat which updates every 30 seconds and shows you who is online at the forums, so you can pounce on them via PM if you're looking for them. I've never received much feedback about it, but I find it helpful.

A very new addition to the shadowera channel is Friendly-Wolf, who is a "bot" and not a real person. He's there to tell you the time in GMT (type ".t"), the result of a coin flip (type ".coin") and the weather (type ".weather London", for example).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by GondorianDotCom View Post
    Great guide.

If you use my chat + game pages, there is also a handy GMT+0 clock in the corner and a "forum stalker" frame underneath the chat which updates every 30 seconds and shows you who is online at the forums, so you can pounce on them via PM if you're looking for them. I've never received much feedback about it, but I find it helpful.

A very new addition to the shadowera channel is Friendly-Wolf, who is a "bot" and not a real person. He's there to tell you the time in GMT (type ".t"), the result of a coin flip (type ".coin") and the weather (type ".weather London", for example).
    Good to know about those bots GDC.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I keep on trying to go in the chat with my name, 'Hunter' and it keeps telling me that it is unavailable. I did get in the chat for a second and then it changed my name to a 'guest####' name.
    <------EZZE Tearz, Tearz

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I keep on trying to go in the chat with my name, 'Hunter' and it keeps telling me that it is unavailable. I did get in the chat for a second and then it changed my name to a 'guest####' name.
    Hunter is a pretty common name. Chances are someone active on freenode already has it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Hunter is a pretty common name. Chances are someone active on freenode already has it.
    Oh ok, I thought it was just channel based. Thanks!
    <------EZZE Tearz, Tearz

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice job Preybird, good thinking adding this. I know I would have appreciated this when I first joined.
    A1's Noble Assassin
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    IGN: A1 CwhitTastic

Hall of Fame member - Highest Rated Players
    Crown 12 6Class Champion
    SamJ's Backyard Brawl Champion
    1.5 Iron Man Streak Champion
    Season 4 Blue Div1 Champion
    Pop-Up Tourney Champion x1
    3 Hero Challenge Finalist
    A1 Internal tourney finalist
    Twain Tourney w/Busti Finalist

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks Cwhit. I put it up for purely selfish reasons though, I want more people on IRC to play against

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    haha well that "selfish reason" will help a lot of players. Might not be so selfish
    A1's Noble Assassin
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    IGN: A1 CwhitTastic

Hall of Fame member - Highest Rated Players
    Crown 12 6Class Champion
    SamJ's Backyard Brawl Champion
    1.5 Iron Man Streak Champion
    Season 4 Blue Div1 Champion
    Pop-Up Tourney Champion x1
    3 Hero Challenge Finalist
    A1 Internal tourney finalist
    Twain Tourney w/Busti Finalist