Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

wreon presents: 1.5 Ultimate Gravebone (Brutal Is Control)

I've decided that it is about time to release this deck. It's deviously stable, extremely brutal, and ultimately, very, very boring.

This was built under the name of Mayhem Control, but I've decided that Brutal Is Control, named as such thanks to brutalis, which I added last minute in an attempt to handle the early game human rush that eldawen/lance gives (the biggest and most common presence in competitions at the start of the meta).

It is similar to Monster Control, but I took out the most of the monsters due to weaknesses DoU and Retreat (effectively removing the weaknesses of Monster control). I went further, and removed the next biggest weakness of mages, research.

Research is without a doubt, a great card. But personally, I hate the card. I think that turn 2 research is a big lapse in potential momentum. I would rather turn 2 brutalis/carniboar, any other turn 2 ally for that matter. This is a personal issue, and as a very conservation-style player, research cramps my style.

This deck is a competition deck, competition decks are not like live server decks. Live server decks aim to go for unique aspects to squeeze wins out of everyone, while competition decks go for stability and what they think they will face.

E.G. I think my opponent is Eldawen, who is building himself as a rush. Thus, the birth of this deck.

To be frank with you? This deck may not do that well in the live server. It will lose to a slow play Mill MS, and certain other solo decks, as this deck strives on opponent allies being mass neutralised by novas and DoU, webs.

Without further ado, I present wreon's

Brutal Is Control

The Brutal
    4x gargoyle*
    4x brutalis*
    2x Badwolf
    2x DMT

The Control
    4x supernova*
    4x ls*
    4x FB*
    3x Entangling Webs

The Counters
    2x shriek*
    2x Ley Line Lexus*
    4x DOU*

The Sacrifical Pit
    4 Sacrifice Lamb*

Total Card count=40 Including hero (* is for all the must-haves)

This deck is mean. It is not a fun deck. All the decisions I make are almost always quite difficult, but necessary.

Here's how it's played, in a nutshell.

Turn 2: Brutalis
    Turn 3: Gargoyle (best when starting second)/DMT (best when trying to deathrace+taking out opponent kris)/Badwolf (best when starting first)
    Turn 4: Lightning strike/burn

This deck is a disguised as a control deck, with death-racing tendencies.

Sacrifical Lamb Usage
    Try to keep one copy of sacrifical lamb to keep the deck running. On turn 5, if you have board control, one 3cc ally in play, and lack of cards, feel free to attack+ SL + cast ally out.

Another way to use it is to dodge supernova. If you know that you're going to cast supernova the next turn, you can just sac lamb straight for the card advantage. Best case scenario, is when you have 7 resources and you can attack + SL + Supernova + revive ally.

The main strategy is also to keep pressing the advantage. DoU + Webs can keep anything in the game down, use this to your advantage. Damn this was easy to write. I'll add anything if I can think of it.
    Last edited by wreon; 04-09-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mathematically you have only 39 cards including GB

I would add 1 Web and 1 Death Mage, make it 41, the chance of getting a particular card doesn't change that much and web is vital in a deck with no fatty.

Very very nice deck anyways, the meaner the better

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree that Research on turn 2 gives up momentum--but that doesn't mean it has no place in the deck! If you play it later in the game and start using it immediately, you take no tempo loss and start drawing an extra card every turn. When all your cards are as impactful as mage cards are, that makes a huge difference.

In my experience, Research is absolutely crucial in mage decks to keep up the card advantage and pressure (especially in a mage mirror match). I can see how Sacrificial Lamb offsets the lack of Research, but my gut says having both would be even better.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Cool.

From what I remember you mentioned that this was a deck you had been tweaking for a tourney run, did that ever happen?
    Acolytes of A1.
    Oderint Dum Metuant.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by kilgoretrout103 View Post
    I agree that Research on turn 2 gives up momentum--but that doesn't mean it has no place in the deck! If you play it later in the game and start using it immediately, you take no tempo loss and start drawing an extra card every turn. When all your cards are as impactful as mage cards are, that makes a huge difference.

In my experience, Research is absolutely crucial in mage decks to keep up the card advantage and pressure (especially in a mage mirror match). I can see how Sacrificial Lamb offsets the lack of Research, but my gut says having both would be even better.
    I agree that both could work too, you're free to squeeze them in. But I have found means around it, so I don't really mind. It's fun to have no research, you know the bugger is storing a shriek for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TDH View Post
    Mathematically you have only 39 cards including GB

I would add 1 Web and 1 Death Mage, make it 41, the chance of getting a particular card doesn't change that much and web is vital in a deck with no fatty.

Very very nice deck anyways, the meaner the better
    My apologies, was reciting off memory. I think there are 4 DoU. Shall change OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordh View Post
    Cool.

From what I remember you mentioned that this was a deck you had been tweaking for a tourney run, did that ever happen?
    Yea, got me in the finals. Best part was (IMO) that there was not a single time I really needed to research. I was almost always playing reactively.

I particularly like the move of casting a DoU early while the opponent has no board. It's very annoying for your opponent to cast an ally into a DoU, and just as momentum breaking to be casting LLN. This deck rides to its own rather oppressive momentum.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    4x gargoyle* OK
    4x brutalis* OK
    2x Badwolf ? For what?
    2x DMT OK

4x supernova* -1~2 is fine, or you want to burn rush because you got 4 ls 4 FB ?
    4x ls* No problem
    4x FB* OK
    3x Entangling Webs OK

The Counters
    2x shriek* OK
    2x Ley Line Lexus* OK
    4x DOU* Seems so much, no way to conter Kurt and Sandworm.

The Sacrifical Pit
    4 Sacrifice Lamb* let me try it

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    shriek is hard to use only can use when you go first and your opponent have some key item like Portal/IGG/WotF...

and at 2CC, why you choose brutalis not use Dark Flayer or Carniboar...

and I'm very disappointed to see no Ogloth in your deck though this guy is not necessary for GB but it's interesting!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    if use 4 * brutalis and 4 * Research, you almost can do sth. at T2
    but if use 4 * brutalis and 4 * Sacrifice Lamb, if you not get brutalis you will do nothing at T2!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    this deck is cool
    i like the card Sacrifice Lamb. It's so underrated.
    I have a Majiya alt and use this card as well. Works great with portal.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've forgotten something. Could you guys remind me what Gravebone's bad MUs are?

I know Elad does well against him.
    Do NOT Click Here