Close

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member Jdmbird1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    143
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    The Ratings Game

    I have a question about how the rating "tiers" get established every time there is a new release.

    I've seen it mentioned on the forums about how in the 1.5 release 300 is equivalent to a 250 rating in the 1.29 release. Or how in such and such release if you had a rating of 300+ you were kicking butt.

    How is it the rating tiers keep shifting every time there is a new release? How is it in some releases getting to 300 is good...and in some releases getting to 300 is an average player? Wouldn't the ratings be consistent in each release? Or is there a change to the formula used to calculate the ratings with each release?

    Just trying to get a little more understanding as to how it all works.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    DP Visionary Preybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    9,046
    Tournaments Joined
    1
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdmbird1 View Post
    I have a question about how the rating "tiers" get established every time there is a new release.

    I've seen it mentioned on the forums about how in the 1.5 release 300 is equivalent to a 250 rating in the 1.29 release. Or how in such and such release if you had a rating of 300+ you were kicking butt.

    How is it the rating tiers keep shifting every time there is a new release? How is it in some releases getting to 300 is good...and in some releases getting to 300 is an average player? Wouldn't the ratings be consistent in each release? Or is there a change to the formula used to calculate the ratings with each release?

    Just trying to get a little more understanding as to how it all works.

    Cheers
    It's all relative. At the moment, because of the ratings grab, the average rating is higher, and thus the rating for your better players is also higher. A similar thing happened early on in the last reset. Given time, those players that either had phenomenal luck or don't adapt to the changing meta will slowly lose rating and the ratings system will settle. Maybe in a month we'll see the return to the thought that 250 is a good rating. Maybe not.

    Each release is also different. 1.28 saw the rise of Darkclaw for a short time, and those players smashed through the early QM. Then counters arrived, and those guys fell back toward the mid-lower end, as everyone teched against them. 1.28 and more so 1.29 saw Elad also rise to the top of the pile, except with little to counter her (except warriors and some luck) even average Elad players were achieving 250 ratings. Now the meta is more balanced and more heroes can do well, which means more heroes (and players) make it to the upper levels, and there are higher ratings.

    You will note that the top 20 ratings haven't changed much from the previous season, so I'm guessing that in a month we'll having a ratings spread similar to 1.28/29.

    Anyway, that's my thoughts.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

    Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

    Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

    PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jdmbird1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    143
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Hmmm...ok...makes sense! Thanks for the response!

  4. #4
    Senior Member HigherPrimate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    On a rock flying through space
    Posts
    519
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    It's all relative. At the moment, because of the ratings grab, the average rating is higher, and thus the rating for your better players is also higher. A similar thing happened early on in the last reset. Given time, those players that either had phenomenal luck or don't adapt to the changing meta will slowly lose rating and the ratings system will settle. Maybe in a month we'll see the return to the thought that 250 is a good rating. Maybe not.

    Each release is also different. 1.28 saw the rise of Darkclaw for a short time, and those players smashed through the early QM. Then counters arrived, and those guys fell back toward the mid-lower end, as everyone teched against them. 1.28 and more so 1.29 saw Elad also rise to the top of the pile, except with little to counter her (except warriors and some luck) even average Elad players were achieving 250 ratings. Now the meta is more balanced and more heroes can do well, which means more heroes (and players) make it to the upper levels, and there are higher ratings.

    You will note that the top 20 ratings haven't changed much from the previous season, so I'm guessing that in a month we'll having a ratings spread similar to 1.28/29.

    Anyway, that's my thoughts.
    that is very interesting.

  5. #5
    Senior Member thendless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    595
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Blog Entries
    1
    Also, when the ratings are reseted and a new build is introduced there's a lot of players on the server so it's easy to be matched against equally or higher ranked opponents and rank up by winning. In a couple of weeks most players within the top 20 will quit playing on their main account for the sole purpose of staying on the top and it will be increasingly harder to be matched against higher ranked players and hence progress your rank. That's why a 250-300 rank will be considered good eventually, because you'll simply be unable to rank higher.

    Currently, the top 20 rank is not a indicative of skill but rather of opportunity or, at best, commitment. if you'd like to experience real competition you should sign up on one of the various tournaments and/or leagues.
    Last edited by thendless; 03-13-2012 at 10:41 PM.

  6. #6
    Moderator danae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the forums
    Posts
    3,920
    Tournaments Joined
    4
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by thendless View Post
    Currently, the top 20 rank is not a indicative of skill but rather of opportunity or, at best, commitment. if you'd like to experience real competition you should sign up on one of the various tournaments and/or leagues.
    I do not entirely agree with this statement. If you look at the Top 20 as of this time, several of those players are the ones that do well in tournaments and/or leagues. Others there I've played against and are very good players but probably do not join tournaments and leagues because they can't commit to the times or schedules. It's also possible that the other unknown players (unknown in forum at least) in the Top 20 are also alternate accounts for players that regularly play in tournaments/leagues.

    It takes skill to get to the Top 20 and stay there. If you were looking at the Top 20 when the reset initially happened, you would notice a lot of unknown names there. However, as the days go by, those names drop off as the more consistent and skilled players take up their place in the Top 20. The only time a really skilled player would not have a chance to make it to the Top 20 would be if they would rather experiment with different builds and if they started trying to rank up when the Top 20 has already settled.

  7. #7
    DP Visionary Preybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    9,046
    Tournaments Joined
    1
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by danae View Post
    I do not entirely agree with this statement. If you look at the Top 20 as of this time, several of those players are the ones that do well in tournaments and/or leagues. Others there I've played against and are very good players but probably do not join tournaments and leagues because they can't commit to the times or schedules. It's also possible that the other unknown players (unknown in forum at least) in the Top 20 are also alternate accounts for players that regularly play in tournaments/leagues.

    It takes skill to get to the Top 20 and stay there. If you were looking at the Top 20 when the reset initially happened, you would notice a lot of unknown names there. However, as the days go by, those names drop off as the more consistent and skilled players take up their place in the Top 20. The only time a really skilled player would not have a chance to make it to the Top 20 would be if they would rather experiment with different builds and if they started trying to rank up when the Top 20 has already settled.
    There's a reason Raph, Ace, Busti, Sisyphos, Sooth, Cwhit etc are there, and it's not opportunity.......
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

    Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

    Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

    PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

  8. #8
    Senior Member thendless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    595
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    There's a reason Raph, Ace, Busti, Sisyphos, Sooth, Cwhit etc are there, and it's not opportunity.......
    I should clarify that I am speaking in general terms, I'm not targeting a specific player or players. This isn't a 1.5 issue, it has been a Shadow Era issue since I can remember.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Junk Style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    721
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Ratings are meaningless until the rating system is changed to include rating decay.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •