Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

So I tried to build a deck around Selfishness card...

Everybody says Selfishness is the most useless card from set 1, so I proposed myself the challenge of building a deck where this card would play the major role.

I remembered that if you steal an ally from your opponent's deck by Transference or Dimension Ripper and summons it on your side of the field, the game would still reckons your opponent as the original owner of that ally. For example, if he uses Retreat on an ally you stole from him, the ally returns to his hand because he is the owner of it.

So, and if I could attach a Selfishness to a stolen ally? Nobody remembers the other effect of this card, "and the ally can't be targeted by its controller while Selfishness is attached". You would have an almost invencible ally on your side of the field, because your opponent would not be able to target it, thus having only some limited ways to get rid of it (board wipes, counter-attacks, etc).
    Try this on an Elementalis deck where you could use his ability to constantly buff the untargetable ally and you get a solid deck! Even if you steal only a single Kris, after some buffs he would turn out to be a fierce fighter without the fear of death.

The problem is, currently you can't target an ally that is on your side of the field with Selfishness, even if you aren't the original owner of it. Maybe that is a wording problem? The card says "Target opposing ally loses...", so I thought that maybe a stolen ally could still count as an "opposing" ally even if it's on your side of the field...
    What do you guys thing?
    Why won't you run into rain and pray?
    Let the tears splash all over you...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by GustCM2 View Post
    "and the ally can't be targeted by its controller while Selfishness is attached".
    The keyword here is controller, not owner. Retreat put an ally back in its owner's hand (whomever had it in his deck initially) but Selfishness prevents the controller (whomever has the ally on his side of the field) from targeting the affecting ally.

Your trick wouldn't work anyway. Nice try though.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You're confused. There's a difference between the 'owner' and 'controller'.

If you started the game with a card, you own it. This will never change.

If a card is in play on your side, you CONTROL it. Control can be changed back and forth over the course of the game, whereas ownership cannot.

Cards like DOU and Retreat may target something you don't control, yet return those cards to the OWNER's hand, not the CONTROLLER's.

Opposing in this game means 'you don't control', as in cards that you are in opposition to. Opposing has nothing to do with who is the owner.

D'oh. ninja'd.

Whatever
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ