Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Smile Currently 241 ranking Amber Rain deck

Hi, English isn't my first language(so expect errors!) but i still want to share my deck with everyone.
    I will write in details for each card and generally strategy.

Currently i use Amber Rain the female weapon master to get to 241 ranking (i still have high win ratio so it certainly can go higher ranking score).
    I got 24win 6loss for my past 30games.
    Now i want to share this deck to everyone and hopefully get some advice to improve it to next 300 ranking level !

Before i post my deck, i want to share my thoughts about why i choose Amber Rain.
    Advantages for Amber Rain:
    1: Mixed damage output.
    Amber Rain has both high weapon damage and strong allies damage. It's very good counter to mage's Supernova.
    Jeweler's Dream with Amber's ability is insane ! There are so many games mages use Supernova to clear the board but die to my Jeweler's Dream. (on the other hand, Boris Skullcrusher is rely on allies)

2: Warrior is generally very strong.
    Blood Frenzy is clearly OP (nerfed in next patch damn!)
    Warrior also has access to one of the strongest armor in this game: The King's Pride

3: Strong in currently meta.
    There are so many Eladwen Frostmire, Darkclaw and Gwenneth Truesight. My Amber deck has high win ratio vs them.
    (100% vs Darkclaw, Darkclaw has nearly no chance to beat me)

Ok time to post my deck!

Amber Rain
    Jasmine Rosecult *4
    Kristoffer Wyld *4
    Puwen Bloodhelm *2
    Birgitte Skullborn *1
    Raven Wildheart *2
    Aldon the Brave *3
    Armored Sandworm *1

Dual Wield *1
    War Banner *2
    Smashing Blow *3
    Enrage *1
    Blood Frenzy *4
    Misplaced *2
    Bad Santa *2

The King's Pride*2
    Jeweler's Dream *4
    Rusty Longsword *1

Total 40 cards.

I always only make 40cards deck to maximize the probability to draw my "core cards" and optimum first 4 turns.
    This deck is very very focused on early game (first 4 turns). So it's incredibly consistent.
    I added Birgitte Skullborn *1 to increase the probability of drawing 1cc cards. (this is extremely important in this deck)
    Additional 1cc card does make difference, plus it's so useful unless opponent cast Kristoffer Wyld at turn 1.

I added Bad Santa *2 because if you only have Blood Frenzy*4, there is actually very high chance you won't get it in first 4 turns!
    I am sure all warriors user have this feeling "Omg where is Blood Frenzy!! i have 4 copies!! So bad luck!" NO it's not bad luck, if you rely on 4 copies it's not consistent.
    Since Blood Frenzy is so important, you always want to cast it at turn 2 (not optimal) or turn 4 (optimal!!)
    That's why i added Bad Santa *2 and that's also the reason i add Birgitte Skullborn *1.
    Bad Santa is a perfect 2 turn drop if you play first and casted a 1 cc ally at turn 1. It also increases the chance to get your Blood Frenzy.

Jasmine Rosecult and Aldon the Brave are very standard, no need to discuss
    Armored Sandworm is useful vs mages. Otherwise feel free to sacrifice it.
    Raven Wildheart is a very strong control type ally.
    I have only 2 Puwen Bloodhelm and generally you sacrifice them or cast them at turn 4 with Jeweler's Dream.

Smashing Blow *3 is very good against most opponent especially Darkclaw, Hunters and warrior mirror.
    Enrage *1 you only need 1 copy because you don't need it until very late game.
    Misplaced *2 This is just for Darkclaw. Misplace their Full Moon then burst ! Generally you sacrifice it when facing other heroes.
    Dual Wield you only need 1, it's good for mid-late game. 4 damage Jeweler's Dream.

Jeweler's Dream is the core weapon. It's so useful. You need these 2 extra resources to maximize your early, mid game!
    With Amber's ability it can deal potential 12damage, it's insane.
    Rusty Longsword generally you sacrifice it. There are games this weapon can save you, especially when you play second. You can use it at turn 3 to kill their Jasmine Rosecult or Aldon the Brave.

Optimal first 4 turns
    1: Kristoffer Wyld or Birgitte Skullborn
    2: Bad Santa
    3: Jasmine Rosecult or Aldon the Brave
    4: Jeweler's Dream then Blood Frenzy

Another Optimal first 4 turns
    2: Puwen Bloodhelm
    4: Jeweler's Dream then Blood Frenzy
    This one you might need to sacrifice some very good cards

Very strong first 4 turns
    2: Blood Frenzy
    4: Jeweler's Dream then Puwen Bloodhelm

strong first 4 turns.
    1: nothing
    2: Blood Frenzy (Bad Santa if you play first)
    4: Jeweler's Dream then Puwen Bloodhelm

You can see it's easy to get a good or ok opening. That's why this deck is consistent. Additional 1cc and 2 Bad Santa really boost your opening first 4 turns. If you can get your Blood Frenzy in first 4 turn then there is a high chance to cast The King's Pride smoothly.
    (please sacrifice The King's Pride or any 5cc allies if you don't have Blood Frenzy or Bad Santa at turn 2). ]

Now let's talk about weakness.
    1: Amber Rain mirror ! why ?! Because i am so focused on early game and my typical late game isn't as strong as other Amber
    as you already noticed, i don't have Retreat and Crippling Blow! I also only run 2 copies of Raven Wildheart which is often the key in warrior mirror. There are games i control the board at early to mid game and successfully drop opponent to less than 10hp while i have 20+ hp and eventually lost !

2: Gravebone is hard for me. If he can survive in mid game and stabilized, then his late game big allies + Portal combo will destroy me.
    Again mainly because i don't have Crippling Blow.

Possible improvment: add 2 copies of Crippling Blow. Maybe -1 Rusty Longsword since most of time it's not that useful(but it does saved me in few games...).

Ok this is alot of typing. Hopefully you enjoy your reading!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I have one major complaint regarding your deck. It's already been discussed before and overall conclusion is that having only one copy of any card is not cool, have at least 2 or don't have any.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hello stevevai1983, thanks for sharing your deck . I hope the new meta in 1.5 won't become too frustrating because items are not relyable as they used to be.

I wonder also why you add just 1 Birgitte Skullborn. Besid the fact that she is a useful ally for round 1, if your opponent don't go first and play a Carniboar in the next round , she can be useful against mages in the late game to protect your allies from lightning other stuff like portal-ally attacks. But so far I can't find a weakspott in your cardchoise. Mybe if you experiment with the number of some cards you might advance even further.

Since you alredy have a rating you can be proud of, you might be interested to experiment on the test server.
    Last edited by Larus; 03-05-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    I have one major complaint regarding your deck. It's already been discussed before and overall conclusion is that having only one copy of any card is not cool, have at least 2 or don't have any.
    I totally disagree. I am a MTG player. In MTG even with 60 cards in stead of 40(and much weaker draw engine). We constantly use 1 copy and it does make difference.

In this particular deck, for example: Enrage. You really only need this card after 10+ turn. With Blood Frenzy/Bad Santa your actual draw rate is >50% very high!

Same thing for Dual Wield, you don't really need it in early to mid game

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus View Post
    Hello stevevai1983, thanks for sharing your deck . I hope the new meta in 1.5 won't become too frustrating because items are not relyable as they used to be.

I wonder also why you add just 1 Birgitte Skullborn. Besid the fact that she is a useful ally for round 1, if your opponent don't go first and play a Carniboar in the next round , she can be useful against mages in the late game to protect your allies from lightning other stuff like portal-ally attacks. But so far I can't find a weakspott in your cardchoise. Mybe if you experiment with the number of some cards you might advance even further.

Since you alredy have a rating you can be proud of, you might be interested to experiment on the test server.
    Hello there,
    yes i agree Birgitte Skullborn is useful, and especially useful vs mage. All i really want is 5copies of 1cc allies, i use to run 3 Kristoffer Wyld and 2 Birgitte Skullborn. But now i run 4 Kristoffer to counter opponent's Kristoffer !!

PS: you can try compare 4copies of 1cc and 5copies 1cc. It makes difference in early game

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevevai1983 View Post
    I totally disagree. I am a MTG player. In MTG even with 60 cards in stead of 40(and much weaker draw engine). We constantly use 1 copy and it does make difference.

In this particular deck, for example: Enrage. You really only need this card after 10+ turn. With Blood Frenzy/Bad Santa your actual draw rate is >50% very high!

Same thing for Dual Wield, you don't really need it in early to mid game
    Well, here you have to sacrifice cards unlike MTG, and what if you have that Enrage in your starting hand and you not sure yet whether you will need it or not. So if you had 2 copies you can sacrifice those Enrage and you'll have chance to draw another one, but if you only have one, you have to hold on to it and sacrifice another card that you have multiple copies of.

If having one copy might work with Enrage (not all that important card) but what probability of getting Skullborn on first turn, or RLS by turn three for example.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    Well, here you have to sacrifice cards unlike MTG, and what if you have that Enrage in your starting hand and you not sure yet whether you will need it or not. So if you had 2 copies you can sacrifice those Enrage and you'll have chance to draw another one, but if you only have one, you have to hold on to it and sacrifice another card that you have multiple copies of.

If having one copy might work with Enrage (not all that important card) but what probability of getting Skullborn on first turn, or RLS by turn three for example.
    If you have Enrage in your opening hand. in 90% case i will sacrifice it unless i face Eladwen Frostmire and have Blood Frenzy in the opening hand as well. Generally 1 copy card isn't core, it's a good plus in later game but you can live without it. (Skullborn is a exception because i just want a slightly more consistent opening hand, i used to run 6 1cc but that's too much)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nonetheless isn't Unruler wrong. Just 1 of these sitational cards might be enough, and you might of course don't need them anyway, but experience teached us otherwise. Give it a try, our decks are never perfect, which mean that we can always advance.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    1-of cards should only be used if you can search your deck for them. In any other case 2-of is always better than 1-of. With 1-of cards you basically say "Meh, I can play without but they are a good luxury" which is a terrible thing to say as is and those cards only waste deck space especially in 1.29 where games never last more than 10 turns.

1x Enrage, 1x Soul Reaper, 1x Resurrection, 1x Eternal Renewal I can live with because you only need one of them with no exceptions and only in late-game. Others? No.

Only exceptions to this are cards that cost over 9 and are finishers but those don't exist in Shadow Era.
    Last edited by Airact; 03-05-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus View Post
    Nonetheless isn't Unruler wrong.
    For once!