Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Build around combos

Heya.
    I like building my decks around 1 combo, which is devastating when it is pulled off. The problem with this is that if your opponent kills your key card (such as guardian of unaxio in my ythan. Deck or mourn blade in my Threbin deck) the game has been for nothing. Now, in MTG, I would just pack some counter cards, but obviously this is impossible in SE. How do you get around things like this (whilst still building deck around combo)
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You can't, don't try for cute combos
    IGN: blueblurr

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Multiple interacting combos rather than a single core combo is generally the best strategy... instead of:

"Card A w/ Card B is an awesome combo!"

Change to a mindset of:

"Card A w/ Card B is an awesome combo! - Card C helps me reach the combo, Card E and F work well with Card A, Card G will work well with Card B in case Card A is stopped, and Card I makes the awesome combo even better in both cases, Cards J, K, and L are just solid cards for my hero and archetype and worth bringing along, and they get a nice buff from Card B"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Alzorath View Post
    Multiple interacting combos rather than a single core combo is generally the best strategy... instead of:

Change to a mindset of:

"Card A w/ Card B is an awesome combo! - Card C helps me reach the combo, Card E and F work well with Card A, Card G will work well with Card B in case Card A is stopped, and Card I makes the awesome combo even better in both cases, Cards J, K, and L are just solid cards for my hero and archetype and worth bringing along, and they get a nice buff from Card B"
    ^this. Here's an example of that: http://shadowera.net/attachment-lance/
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Build around combos

As the above people said, try to build your deck with multiple small combos, because decks like Aramia Aetherwisp end up swinging or missing.
    In order to make a deck more consistent, make it a set of smaller combos that are still reasonable.
    One that comes to my mind is the synergy between Nightshade, Eleanor, and Midnight Sentinel.
    If you summon the Nightshade and Eleanor, you get one stealthed ally and one ally that cannot be attacked.
    If you summon the Eleanor and the Midnight Sentinel, you get a 3/3 with ambush that can't be attacked and a 1/5 that makes sure of her safety.
    If you get a Nightshade and Midnight Sentinel, you can create a 2/4 that is stealthed and had ambush, and a 1/5 ally that can also assassinate. (This is part of a rogue deck.)
    This is just an example that came into my mind. As the above said, try building with multiple combos in mind.
    Last edited by Infinite; 11-02-2014 at 02:57 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't think it's about what you should do but more about what you want to do.

Yes I should play for board control every game, yes I should play tier 1 because there's no reason to play any other decks if I wanted to actually win games, yes I should never play Millstalker because it's prohibited by some inexistent code of honor. Etc etc. Sounds a bit boring doesn't it?

I'm fairly sure he's not asking advice on how to win more games here. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I apologize.
    Edit: I was kind of wrong but I think my point stays. He wants a combo deck and I would say most suggestions here are not that. How I explain combo decks is probably different from most people here so that could be why.

How I explain them: Get to a point in the game where you can execute a series of plays that win you the game (or make you close to that) almost no matter what the board state is, with exceptions of course, depending on the game. Usually these kinds of strategies are beaten by being faster than it, by interacting with it enough or by having hate cards.

I think the more "pure" combo decks revolve around either Aetherborn Wisp or Shard of Power (or Gravebone) where Aetherborn Wisp leans more on the side of synergies and Shard of Power being a bigger, badder combo card. For a Wisp list, my signature has one even if it's more of a tempo list than an actual combo build.

As for Shard of Power: http://shadowera.net/zaladar-hastebomb/

The article says the deck is fast which I disagree with but other than that the plan seems combo-y, the deck seems combo-y and the deck operates like a combo deck for the most part. It's not on the level of TES, ANT, Belcher, High Tide, Doomsday or other Storm decks in MtG, nor is it on the level of more fair combo decks like Sneak and Show, Elves, Reanimator or Dredge (and such), but it's a start.

I didn't ask for permission to post the link but it's freely available information and the writer is mentioned there so I think it's fine. I'll take it down if it's not.
    Last edited by Airact; 11-02-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Make it 10 cards 4 copies each or 13 cards 3 copies each and the possibility to pull off your combo is higher. If you really want to pull off your combo just focus on it and forget about countering anything at all, unless your combo actually includes it (eg: ravager item/ability destruction).

Again, it's mostly luck though.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Airact View Post

I didn't ask for permission to post the link but it's freely available information and the writer is mentioned there so I think it's fine. I'll take it down if it's not.
    I'm pretty sure if it's up on the forums / se.net people want others to see it. I do think you're right that it's a good example of a combo deck as you define it. So I think there are two answers to the OP's quesiton.
    1) Diversify your combo and turn it into lots of interacting combos
    2) Find a really strong combo like the haste-bomb example (there are few of these) and build a deck around it, with a commitment to the deck being all-or-nothing.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Alzorath View Post

Change to a mindset of:

This is an idea, will try it.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblurr View Post
    You can't, don't try for cute combos
    You are helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite View Post
    As the above people said, try to build your deck with multiple small combos, because decks like Aramia Aetherwisp end up swinging or missing.
    In order to make a deck more consistent, make it a set of smaller combos that are still reasonable.
    One that comes to my mind is the synergy between Nightshade, Eleanor, and Midnight Sentinel.
    If you summon the Nightshade and Eleanor, you get one stealthed ally and one ally that cannot be attacked.
    If you summon the Eleanor and the Midnight Sentinel, you get a 3/3 with ambush that can't be attacked and a 1/5 that makes sure of her safety.
    If you get a Nightshade and Midnight Sentinel, you can create a 2/4 that is stealthed and had ambush, and a 1/5 ally that can also assassinate. (This is part of a rogue deck.)
    This is just an example that came into my mind. As the above said, try building with multiple combos in mind.
    Thanks for the examples

Quote Originally Posted by Airact View Post
    I don't think it's about what you should do but more about what you want to do.

Yes I should play for board control every game, yes I should play tier 1 because there's no reason to play any other decks if I wanted to actually win games, yes I should never play Millstalker because it's prohibited by some inexistent code of honor. Etc etc. Sounds a bit boring doesn't it?

I'm fairly sure he's not asking advice on how to win more games here. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I apologize.
    Edit: I was kind of wrong but I think my point stays. He wants a combo deck and I would say most suggestions here are not that. How I explain combo decks is probably different from most people here so that could be why.

How I explain them: Get to a point in the game where you can execute a series of plays that win you the game (or make you close to that) almost no matter what the board state is, with exceptions of course, depending on the game. Usually these kinds of strategies are beaten by being faster than it, by interacting with it enough or by having hate cards.

I think the more "pure" combo decks revolve around either Aetherborn Wisp or Shard of Power (or Gravebone) where Aetherborn Wisp leans more on the side of synergies and Shard of Power being a bigger, badder combo card. For a Wisp list, my signature has one even if it's more of a tempo list than an actual combo build.

As for Shard of Power: http://shadowera.net/zaladar-hastebomb/

The article says the deck is fast which I disagree with but other than that the plan seems combo-y, the deck seems combo-y and the deck operates like a combo deck for the most part. It's not on the level of TES, ANT, Belcher, High Tide, Doomsday or other Storm decks in MtG, nor is it on the level of more fair combo decks like Sneak and Show, Elves, Reanimator or Dredge (and such), but it's a start.

All the points here are well thought out, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post
    Make it 10 cards 4 copies each or 13 cards 3 copies each and the possibility to pull off your combo is higher. If you really want to pull off your combo just focus on it and forget about countering anything at all, unless your combo actually includes it (eg: ravager item/ability destruction).

Again, it's mostly luck though.
    I will try this
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    I'm pretty sure if it's up on the forums / se.net people want others to see it. I do think you're right that it's a good example of a combo deck as you define it. So I think there are two answers to the OP's quesiton.
    1) Diversify your combo and turn it into lots of interacting combos
    2) Find a really strong combo like the haste-bomb example (there are few of these) and build a deck around it, with a commitment to the deck being all-or-nothing.
    Thanks for summary!
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.