Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retreat! nerf.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Retreat! nerf.

Because Retreat! is such commonly used powerful card which nullifies purpose of ally attachments or buffs, I suggest nefing it like this: Return target ally with cost 4 or less in owner's hand. Because returning fattie is too much of resource gap like returning 6cc ally only for 2 resources and than I have to recast it again, yet all attachments go to the graveyard...

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    We talked extensively within the PFG and Design Team about changing Retreat, but we decided to leave it as-is, since we wanted to limit the number of nerfs and focus on improving cards rather than killing others. More importantly, Retreat is not overpowered, just strong. It's good to have strong cards.

If you are interested in the debate, then there are a few old threads about Retreat that you might find interesting. Here is probably the best:

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....to-fix-Retreat

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Retreat is card disadvantage for the player using it. Attachments are bad for any multitude of reasons (like ANY removal, not just Retreat!) so nerfing Retreat doesn't make them any more playable. If you play an ally and I retreat it, then you have +1 card over me now. If you play an ally and play an attachment on it, then I retreat it, card-wise we're now even. So what? If you play an attachment on an ally, that's almost always going to be a free card for me anyways. Assassinate, Mind Control, Black Garb, Logan, Crippling Blow, Captured Prey, Now You're Mine, Dagger of Unmaking, Ogloth the Glutton, any burn, Black Garb, or just plain ATTACKING the thing, whatever method I choose to take the ally out of play, it's still a free +1 card for me. It's the same way in most games. Buffs are generally bad cards.
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I see, it's been suggested already.

Quote Originally Posted by GondorianDotCom View Post
    More importantly, Retreat is not overpowered, just strong. It's good to have strong cards.
    Yes, but it counters some strategies (which is ok), allies (Ogloth, which bad for him) and entire hero (Elementalis), so this is basically suggestion to even things up for him.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It does counter those things. A maximum of 4 times throughout a given game, and typically no more than 2-3 times. It's not OP, and therefore not warranting of a nerf.
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's a powerful, good and maybe too good a card to be 2 cc.

Accept it, they will never ever change this card. Hopefully, maybe there will be a counter to this card but not sure if it will ever happen.

All your buff cards are almost useless. Yes. They want it this way, at least for now till don't know when the next set release.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think its fine. Before you call me biased - I dont use it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlanketEffect View Post
    It does counter those things. A maximum of 4 times throughout a given game, and typically no more than 2-3 times. It's not OP, and therefore not warranting of a nerf.
    +1

Also, even though Retreat does hinder Elementalis, he also has a maximum of 4 times that he can use shadow font to buff another ally. In my eyes this equals itself out.

Shadow Era

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't even understand why people bother to put some buff cards in their decks except it can combo with hero or some allies. You could've put another ally on board instead of using that Extra Sharp for example or draw some more cards with those wasted resources. Sure they give you some advantage but it's generally temporary and for one turn. Long term advantage>>>>>>>>>short term advantage and little loss of tempo and card disadvantage.

Retreat is the only way some human heroes can deal with Shadow fatties. It's fair. How could you stop a rampaging Ogloth otherwise? Also like dnd pointed out in the same way with those attachments, you lose small tempo and it gives card advantage to opponent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmet476 View Post
    Long term advantage>>>>>>>>>short term advantage and little loss of tempo and card disadvantage.
    Bloodlust says hi. I cannot count how many times it has saved me from close games.