Close

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Once Sandworm is out its pretty annoying, how do you deal with sandworm. also Wu I'm stuck around 240ish any advice on how to break my plateau

Students Today, Masters Tomorrow

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by dyny View Post
    Once Sandworm is out its pretty annoying, how do you deal with sandworm. also Wu I'm stuck around 240ish any advice on how to break my plateau
    Think sandworms as giant ass tanks with a tiny turret. He's more a distraction than a threat. My suggestion is to try these moves for size:
    1. Webs. Just think about it. A 5cc vs 2cc, stuck for two turns. Gargoyle would out dps him, not a problem.
    2. Nova+(another nova/fireball) worst case scenario. Often using fb on the hero would be more efficient.

As a result, my favourite move against sandworm is to:
    3. Pretend to ignore it, and keep up the gb show, dropping PBs and oggy. When your opponent starts to drop more allies, cast the first nova, and revive oggy (like a reverse oggy bomb), and follow it up with nova again the next turn. Most players don't see this coming

Never throw multiple spells at a sandworm, its often better to stack the board with more allies.

As for ratings, it's about knowing the meta. What type of decks have you been facing? What are you weak against? Which cards have you been resourcing a lot: these are the cards that you can replace for more counter cards for opponents you have been losing to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harakhte View Post
    If the Portal mechanic sync'd the way it used to, PB would not be a good choice, and a lot of extant GB theory that is still around the forums pre-current version would find using a PB on a Portal (which all GBs once used, more or less) too large an investment (8 resources for 7 damage in one turn, when two Belladonnas would do 8 for 8 and get you two cards).

I wish newer players (and myself too) had the option to play older versions for fun, as nothing can really explain how GB used to work in text, although if you check on YouTube for KillTrend, you will find a number of commented games of excellent Old-School GB play. That simply doesn't work anymore, though, and so PB by necessity becomes as ace a card for GB as Majiya, in addition to the other points made by Wenhui above.

Cheers,
    -Harakhte
    But imagine oggy bomb going off with portal in play, that single combo spells a board wipe + smack from oggy would have been a minimum of 10 damage out from a single move. Pity.
    Last edited by wreon; 04-06-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenhui Tay View Post
    Think sandworms as giant ass tanks with a tiny turret. He's more a distraction than a threat. My suggestion is to try these moves for size:
    1. Webs. Just think about it. A 5cc vs 2cc, stuck for two turns. Gargoyle would out dps him, not a problem.
    2. Nova+(another nova/fireball) worst case scenario. Often using fb on the hero would be more efficient.

As a result, my favourite move against sandworm is to:
    3. Pretend to ignore it, and keep up the gb show, dropping PBs and oggy. When your opponent starts to drop more allies, cast the first nova, and revive oggy (like a reverse oggy bomb), and follow it up with nova again the next turn. Most players don't see this coming

Never throw multiple spells at a sandworm, its often better to stack the board with more allies.

As for ratings, it's about knowing the meta. What type of decks have you been facing? What are you weak against? Which cards have you been resourcing a lot: these are the cards that you can replace for more counter cards for opponents you have been losing to.

But imagine oggy bomb going off with portal in play, that single combo spells a board wipe + smack from oggy would have been a minimum of 10 damage out from a single move. Pity.
    For a few match ups that i can remember is losing to lance using anklebreaker, It really distrupt my flow. I'll let you know on more match ups later.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sacrificial Lamb is becoming a staple response to annoyances like AB (or any kind of disable really) for me. Even if it's not the best play possible, it often is the only play I have on hand that makes any sense, and with GB you just bring them back anyway.

Cheers,
    -Harakhte
    Harakhte - A1's Esoteric Egyptian Enigma
    www.a1-alliance.org - "Evolution in Theory"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wen,

After reading your post on Brutal, I do agree with you on the point on research. Even if you cast it on t2 you usually don't get to use it until say t6 or t7. Therefore you do loose the momentum of drawing. Now i also feel that WT is ok at least you get to draw a card only if you have dealt damage. However, what do you do if your opponent t3 cast Jasmine and you t4 WT. Or in another scenario, If on t4 you cast WT then it gets destroyed. As we spoke before regarding WT yes budget is a tiny issue, but if its a neccessary then I'll spare the gold to obtain the card.

On another note regarding to my games. Here is a given scenario in my game plays.
    1. Can't utilize research to gain more cards as mention above.
    2. When I have a game that I have up to 7 resources then its easier. But also in the beginning may feel its hard to decide what to sac. Especially if you have say. PB, Oggy, DOU, LLN, FB, LS, Research, web and etc. Point being is i usually have resources up to 6 for the most part. Which now I realize that its not enough. But when you get critical cards, IDK what to do.
    3. Also after numerous attempts to fight for board control, some how my lp gets hit and i'm down to less than 15, after awhile i just sac nova cause i can't use it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    when i play against gb and am using serena i've found the best strategy is to wait out the big guns and just attack their hand and draws. if a mage doesn't have a hand it's pretty much screwed. once i do that then it's a matter of slowly pinging away at their monsters while i build mine and am protected from spells by spelleater. i've found that to be the most effective strategy. a counter to this could be sacrificial lamb or bad santa but i haven't seen anyone play those yet. just my thoughts on the deck but it's definitely a pain to play against.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @dyny: about one of your questions, relating to what to sac: every good deck should be difficult to decide what to sac, because all the cards you are getting are worth something in every game.

The only way to figure out what is important 'right now' and what you can wait to draw again, is to play and make mistakes and learn from them. Even then, the choices will never be easy, unless it's some kind of silly match up like vs Allyless decks, you can just drop DoU, etc.

Cheers,
    -Harakhte
    Harakhte - A1's Esoteric Egyptian Enigma
    www.a1-alliance.org - "Evolution in Theory"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifers Shadow View Post
    when i play against gb and am using serena i've found the best strategy is to wait out the big guns and just attack their hand and draws. if a mage doesn't have a hand it's pretty much screwed. once i do that then it's a matter of slowly pinging away at their monsters while i build mine and am protected from spells by spelleater. i've found that to be the most effective strategy. a counter to this could be sacrificial lamb or bad santa but i haven't seen anyone play those yet. just my thoughts on the deck but it's definitely a pain to play against.
    Haha whenever I play against a serena and am using GB, I stack fatties in my hand, and laugh when Serena makes me drop a fatty. Because now I can follow up with a double fatty in play (one cast from hand, the other returned from graveyard).

I know that research is a weakness, thus my usage of SL (see Brutal Is Control). But research is stable, and far stronger late game. It's ok to have your first research destroyed, it's not like you don't pack 4 researches, and as long as you don't resource them, chances are that you will get a smooth draw. Besides, there is still DoU for item destruction to target.

Personally, I pride myself in being able to play efficiently without a draw engine. My opinion is that if I can play well without one, watch me when I do have one, it'll be like my deck is on steroids.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I use GB as well.. It;'s similar however instead of Wulvern Tracker, i use DMT and added Brut *4

Brut+DMT+Gargoyle to defend early rush.. then i have SL *4 Research *2 as my draw engine (SL DMT/Gargoyle in mid game)
    KA M Stevevai

IGN:
    KA M Stevevai
    KA Keroro

My articles:
    V1.5 Amber deck
    V1.5 Majiya deck
    V1.5 Gravebone deck

KA is a top chinese guild join our QQ group 134628232 if you are chinese or you can read chinese !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by stevevai1983 View Post
    I use GB as well.. It;'s similar however instead of Wulvern Tracker, i use DMT and added Brut *4

Brut+DMT+Gargoyle to defend early rush.. then i have SL *4 Research *2 as my draw engine (SL DMT/Gargoyle in mid game)
    Your mix is like a balance between monster and brutal, though I bet your deck lacks sever ties to make up the early defense, making it closer to brutal.

May I know which fatties you run?