Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

1.50 Eladwen Frostmire Burn Deck (v1.10)

Hi guys, I've just started playing Shadow Era recently and have made and played with my first deck. I picked Eladwen since she's available as a starter hero, relatively cheap to build, and can burn AIs fast for speed grinding. Please help me review the deck and point out any room for improvement, thanks!

Eladwen Frostmire Burn Deck v1.10:

1x Eladwen Frostmire

3x Jasmine Rosecult
    4x Puwen Bloodhelm
    4x Priest of the Light

4x Fireball
    4x Lightning Strike
    3x Tome of Knowledge
    4x Supernova
    3x Retreat
    3x Bad Santa
    3x Ley Line Nexus

4x Dagger of Unmaking

40 cards

Notes:

The weenies dish out damage early on to bring the enemy hero's health below mine, then the spell cards burn him down. Retreat and Dagger of Unmaking help control dangerous allies, Tome and Bad Santa gives good draw power, while Ley Line Nexus deals with Spelleater Bands or other high cost items.

I think the deck is more or less finalised! Small changes like swapping Nexus for Negatia, or Jasmine for Aldon might be made if need be, but currently the deck is running very well! Thanks for all the help!

Changelog:

v1.10

Replaced 4x Kristoffer Wyld and 3x Aldon the Brave with 3x Jasmine Rosecult and 4x Priest of the Light.
    Replaced 3x Bazaar with 3x Tome of Knowledgde.
    Replaced 3x Shrine of Negatia with 3x Ley Line Nexus.

v1.01

Removed 1x Aldon the Brave.
    Added 1x Dagger of Unmaking.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There's a lot of potential advantage loss in this deck. Retreat and Shrine cost you one card and you gain/your opponent loses none. Yes, you can back that up with Bad Santas but even with a bad Santa, you potentially gain a maximum of 2 cards (3 - 1 for the Santa) while your opponent can gain up to 3. IMO there is better draw for a Human mage than Santas such as Oracles and the obvious Tome of Knowledge. Also, I think that retreat is an overrated card and that Shrine is one of the worst item removals as often you're just giving them back durability or whatever.

Just my 2 cents.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's more like 1.29 instead of 1.30 deck
    Shadow Era, ETC

Evolve Through Cooperation

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanniati View Post
    There's a lot of potential advantage loss in this deck. Retreat and Shrine cost you one card and you gain/your opponent loses none. Yes, you can back that up with Bad Santas but even with a bad Santa, you potentially gain a maximum of 2 cards (3 - 1 for the Santa) while your opponent can gain up to 3. IMO there is better draw for a Human mage than Santas such as Oracles and the obvious Tome of Knowledge. Also, I think that retreat is an overrated card and that Shrine is one of the worst item removals as often you're just giving them back durability or whatever.

Just my 2 cents.
    Hmm I'll test out alternatives and see how it goes, thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by bobwei View Post
    It's more like 1.29 instead of 1.30 deck
    Yeah it doesn't have any new 1.30 cards, but I built it with all the 1.30 cards in mind and played it on the 1.30 test server where Elad's ability is slightly different.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That was a nice feedback but my personal thoughts on Bad Santa is that you gotta time it properly. You can cast them when they have 4-5 or more cards in their hand, while your hand is at least 3-4 cards or lower. That way they loose their next draw and you get yours refilled.

About retreats, if you are death racing this could save you a lot of trouble actually. If having to prevent 1-2 attacks from a big ugly ally in order to win the game then Im all for it right? Because you gotta consider, its not only returning the ally in hand that affects his tempo, it is also having to waste the same amount of resource, and having to wait for the summoning sickness to get off again that counts a lot. Thus, buying you time with your death race and significantly delaying your opponent.

Dagger of Unmaking works highly well, I'd prolly put in 4 as these has started to become more of a target these days (1.3) for item-removal abilities.

Elad in 1.3 can still death-race, but needs some allies these time due to the nerf. Although interestingly I've seen a few folks using Gas + Flames to compensate for her lost ability, and still doing Direct damage to the opponent while controlling the field w/ retreats/Daggers + Elad's ability.

Best of luck on this one
    Team Juggernauts *ForeRunner*

IGN: TJ SO14RWIND
    LEAGUE: Red Division 3

Coming soon: Crown(12) Tournament | TWAIN Tournament | SoW Guild Challenge

“There is a difference between you and me... Yes, we both looked into the Abyss.... but when it looked back at us......you blinked!”

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
    That was a nice feedback but my personal thoughts on Bad Santa is that you gotta time it properly. You can cast them when they have 4-5 or more cards in their hand, while your hand is at least 3-4 cards or lower. That way they loose their next draw and you get yours refilled.

About retreats, if you are death racing this could save you a lot of trouble actually. If having to prevent 1-2 attacks from a big ugly ally in order to win the game then Im all for it right? Because you gotta consider, its not only returning the ally in hand that affects his tempo, it is also having to waste the same amount of resource, and having to wait for the summoning sickness to get off again that counts a lot. Thus, buying you time with your death race and significantly delaying your opponent.

Dagger of Unmaking works highly well, I'd prolly put in 4 as these has started to become more of a target these days (1.3) for item-removal abilities.

Elad in 1.3 can still death-race, but needs some allies these time due to the nerf. Although interestingly I've seen a few folks using Gas + Flames to compensate for her lost ability, and still doing Direct damage to the opponent while controlling the field w/ retreats/Daggers + Elad's ability.

Best of luck on this one
    Yup, this is how I'm using Bad Santa currently. Sometimes I also use it even when the opponent gets the full 3 card draw when I need the 3 cards myself to maybe finish him off with some spells, or save my life by clearing an ally with Retreat or a Fireball.

And what you said is also what I had in mind when I put Retreat in. It has worked well in turning the tides during the last few turns of a close death race match, removing buffed Ogloths or Elementalis-buffed allies, stalling for a Supernova board wipe or a Fireball finishing move.

I actually like using Gas and Flames against the AI, but I didn't think it'd be good enough against real human players. I also don't know which cards to remove to put those in. I'll play around with them and see how it goes.

I'll add in one more Dagger and take out an Aldon, since I don't find myself using Aldons that much. Thanks for your advice!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What do you guys think of using Poison Gas and Engulfing Flames? Are any cards in the deck worth taking out to put them in? If I were to use these two cards, I'm most likely to remove Shrine of Negatia, as it seems to be the least useful card now. Most of the time I sac the Shrine when there's no items on the other side, and when there finally are some items, I rarely draw a shrine to use it. Same goes for Ley Line Nexus when I replaced Shrine with it. Ultimately I managed without removing opposing items. So I reckon Gas and Flames would be better?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    dont listen about retreat and shrine of negatia... these are good cards. cheap to cost. retreat is one of the best cards in the game. top 3 at least.

yes, they can just recast it, yes, you used a card. ruining your opponents tempo is more devestating than having card advantage. retreating a plasma behemoth for example. that made the first casting a dead play and a waste of 5 resources.

using shrine on say... a full moon when the DC or moonstalker player thinks they are safe from damage... or on their rain delay...

card advantage means nothing if you dont play the cards.
    lil dark riding hood Queen of A1 Evolution in Theory
    Alliance One recruitment thread
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    SE Card Price Guide - My Deck Building Guide
    all my decks together
    owner of Earthen Protector flavor text
    Caitlyn™: collecting rage quits since 2011

Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree. Retreat is STILL one of the best cards in this game.

2cc to take the board back is well worth it. Going first on t5 you can completely clear a board with retreat + ability and still play a great t3 ally like Jas or PoTL. Or you can save it for their t6 drop and wreck their momentum (they either have to play it again or divert to deal with whatever you have played).

That said this deck probably needs a few more allies and a few less support cards.
    Resident dealer of Dead Man's hand of A1: Evolution in Theory

Check out www.a1-alliance.org to find out all about us, and Ask A1! Also now out, Project Omega, a full shadowera Wiki + exclusive strategy guides!

Click for my Beginners Guide to Shadow Era Heroes

Siege on A1 - the toughest challenge yet. Have you got what it takes? Over 17,000 crystals up for grabs!

Recent accolades:
    TJ Gauntlet Finalist!
    PFG Tournament Winner
    PFG 1 & 2 member
    Crown 14 RU
    Guild Wars #1 winners

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You need Ley Line in the deck. The first time you see spelleater bands played against you and you don't have Ley Line, you will cry.