Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Shadow era is 'unique'

I have been looking through a lot of the threads and read a lot of how it is compared to other card games, and how they are worried at how they don't think the game will not make it into the tcg world as such.*

I have been playing card games for about 10 years and have played pretty much every card game going from the game that magic the gathering was originated from to shadow era today. *And I think the game is completely different, here are my reasons behind my thought:*

1, the hero itself, no other card game I know of has a character that is meant to be you have such an effect on the game and can even have strategies based around them. I mean magic has planeswalkers but they are set Hero's that you put into the deck.*

2, card lists, right from the beginning you have to choose between human or shadow, and then in that you have to choose a class. Yeah some classes overlap but the shadow warriors strategy is very different to human warrior strategy. There is no mixing between these cards as each set has its own thing, like you don't see serena playing a fireball anytime. This makes the game very simplistic and easy to understand with deck strategies.*

3, deck making schemes, this is the only game where it is not possible to have a single version of any card and make it work, you normally always have them in threes or fours. Whereas in most others you can get away with the odd random card because it looks nice or just because it is amazing.*

4, no ban list!! This is the best major development I have seen, there is no card to powerful as they have play tested them thoroughly and made changes when needed. This has also lead to the use of 'unique' meaning only one of a card on the field at a time on your side. But you can have as many as you like. *

5, the resources. The only game that has this kind of resource mechanism was duel master, Which sadly got out of print as it was one if my favourite games, other games you have a separate card as resource and there nothing more annoying than drawing a hand full of land, where as in this game every card in your hand is a potential resource, so you can get away with less cards in a deck and making the game a lot faster and adding a lot more depth into it as you have to think about what your saccing.*

6, the gameplay itself, it is one game where you have to wait for your opponent to finish before doing anything. Yes there are traps. But they are visible and restrict what your opponent can do in his turn. There are no instants which means no headache, deciding when to play different things. Which speed up gameplay.*

So all in all I think this game is very successful and will be very successful in the coming years. I am looking forward to the physical release and being able to play against actual people.*

If you have read this then thank you and please post what you think, and don't dump on the thread please.*

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This game is not unique. It's modeled 100% after WoWTCG.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I could never get into that one as I did like it like this one. It isn't as spoke of or as popular if you play it then I apologise

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Awall!!! View Post
    I could never get into that one as I did like it like this one. It isn't as spoke of or as popular if you play it then I apologise
    WOWTCG is probably the second or third most popular TCG on the market, it hit with a huge splash a few years ago with what was at the time the biggest cash prize on offer to the winner of their worlds championship ($100,000). It's not exactly a niche game and yeah, just about everything you identify as unique about this game is directly from WOWTCG .

The single biggest innovation of this game is the platform and business model. That's a genuine innovation, but as far as fundamental mechanics go it's like a slightly tweaked WOWTCG clone.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    It can't be that large? Pokemon has been around much longer, as have yugioh

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Does putting a massive amount of boobs in make SE unique?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPSECRET View Post
    Does putting a massive amount of boobs in make SE unique?
    Hmmm probably a little bit. Though it only a lot of side boob shots. :P (family guy if no one got it)

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Whether SE is similar to other games or not, the main thing is that the OP loves Shadow Era. That's great to hear.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Inserting replies in red text.

Quote Originally Posted by Awall!!! View Post
    I have been looking through a lot of the threads and read a lot of how it is compared to other card games, and how they are worried at how they don't think the game will not make it into the tcg world as such.*

I have been playing card games for about 10 years and have played pretty much every card game going from the game that magic the gathering was originated from to shadow era today. *And I think the game is completely different, here are my reasons behind my thought:*

1, the hero itself, no other card game I know of has a character that is meant to be you have such an effect on the game and can even have strategies based around them. I mean magic has planeswalkers but they are set Hero's that you put into the deck.*
    Um... WoWTCG, Harry Potter TCG, DBZTCG, Kingdom Hearts tcg, YuYu Hakusho TCG, Lord of the Rings TCG, all off the top of my head. There's literally TONS of games out there with a starting character representation that defines the strategy of the deck.

2, card lists, right from the beginning you have to choose between human or shadow, and then in that you have to choose a class. Yeah some classes overlap but the shadow warriors strategy is very different to human warrior strategy. There is no mixing between these cards as each set has its own thing, like you don't see serena playing a fireball anytime. This makes the game very simplistic and easy to understand with deck strategies.*
    Again, this is taken straight from WoWTCG. Other games that do this include Magic's Commander and Prismatic formats, Lord of the Rings TCG, Star Wars CCG, and more.

3, deck making schemes, this is the only game where it is not possible to have a single version of any card and make it work, you normally always have them in threes or fours. Whereas in most others you can get away with the odd random card because it looks nice or just because it is amazing.*
    This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. First of all, people get away with 1-ofs in SE already all the time, and secondly people play 1 ofs in other tcgs more safely because other tcgs have search effects that this game goes not yet have. If you have 1 creature and 4 cards that can search for it, you essentially have MORE than 4 in your deck, not less.

4, no ban list!! This is the best major development I have seen, there is no card to powerful as they have play tested them thoroughly and made changes when needed. This has also lead to the use of 'unique' meaning only one of a card on the field at a time on your side. But you can have as many as you like. *
    There's no banlist because there's only one set and because up until this point wulven has just changed and erattad cards instead of just banning them. Once the print run is finally finalized and this game is tangible that will no longer be the case and bannings, various formats and all other sorts of things will come in due time, same as any other game.

5, the resources. The only game that has this kind of resource mechanism was duel master, Which sadly got out of print as it was one if my favourite games, other games you have a separate card as resource and there nothing more annoying than drawing a hand full of land, where as in this game every card in your hand is a potential resource, so you can get away with less cards in a deck and making the game a lot faster and adding a lot more depth into it as you have to think about what your saccing.*
    Again, you clearly haven't played the World of Warcraft TCG, where this mechanic was ripped directly from. Also, Duel Masters is still in print and is the highest selling tcg in asian territories, it just isn't sold in the US any more due to WotC saturating their own market. This mechanic doesn't have many tangible counterparts, this is true. Games like the Fullmetal Alchemist TCG, Yu-Yu Hakusho TCG, Monster Rancher tcg, and SNK VS Capcom TCGs rely heavily on discard costs, which although similar in function I will admit is slightly different. However, this is still a WoWTCG imitation.

6, the gameplay itself, it is one game where you have to wait for your opponent to finish before doing anything. Yes there are traps. But they are visible and restrict what your opponent can do in his turn. There are no instants which means no headache, deciding when to play different things. Which speed up gameplay.*
    This is the Pokemon TCG, as well as Portal, Portal: Second Age and Portal: Three Kingdoms from Magic and the choiceless Yu-Gi-Oh Gameboy titles The Sacred Cards and Rechef of Destruction, which both trigger traps automatically like the hunter in SE and all choice-based effects that could trigger on the opponent's turn are removed. The Bionicle ccg does this, as well as Elements and most all digital card games that aren't Magic Online.
    So all in all I think this game is very successful and will be very successful in the coming years. I am looking forward to the physical release and being able to play against actual people.*

If you have read this then thank you and please post what you think, and don't dump on the thread please.*
    You, sir, have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to TCGs. You've clearly not played 'pretty much every game'.
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dndfreak View Post
    Inserting replies in red text.

You, sir, have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to TCGs. You've clearly not played 'pretty much every game'.
    Ok I look stupid I will admit. but I have played a lot of games like these and had experience in these games. I no expert like you are by the articles of yours I have read and actually use when making my decks. Lol. and therefore I will admit I have not done complete research on this. If ya wanna remove the thread go ahead. But I retain the fact I think the game will go far