Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Banebow, conspicuous by his absense

Hey there, guys. I'm only about a week into Shadow Era, but I was a long time competitive MTG player, so I understand deck strategy and such. I've noticed in playing live challenges, there is a rather limited number of competitive deck archetypes that seem to not only dominate in terms of ratings and wins, but in overall deck constructions being used in general. These seem to be:

Eladwen
    Nishavan
    Gravebone
    Majiya
    Darkclaw
    Zaladar

Granted, there are a very limited number of cards from which to choose, and there are other decks I've seen, to be sure; but, those aforementioned decks constitute the bulk of decks I see played.

One hero that I have NEVER seen once played (other than in the deck I'm about to share with you) is Banebow. Because of this, one of two things is true. Either Banebow was previously used a lot and has since 'fallen out of tech fashion' OR, no one has put together a really competitive and consistent Banebow deck. Hopefully the latter is true, because it'd stroke my ego (what little bit this sort of thing can stroke an ego) to know that a week into the game, I came up with a new deck archetype that not only is winning consistently, but that is also of my own design and virtually NON-EXISTENT among other players of the game.

Take a look and tell me what you think. I've thusfar had about a 70% win ratio overall since its inception and initial tweaking. It's pretty optimized now.

1x Banebow
    4x Infernal Gargoyle
    4x Brutalis
    1x Plasma Behemoth
    3x Chimera
    4x Fire Snake
    2x Bad Wolf
    4x Flaming Arrow
    4x Death Trap
    2x Surprise Attack
    4x Bloodlust
    2x Bad Santa

If this deck hasn't been made or posted before, let me be completely gay and call firsties!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    What is your in-game name? I may have faced you or it was someone else, because I do remember facing him, however rare the occasion.

P.S. Stop stroking your ego, we have young players in here >< lawlz.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In-game name is also blanketeffect.

And yeah, it is kind of an ego-stroker, knowing that this game has been out for the better part of a year, and this deck design isn't really even played a little bit, let alone heavily played, as my success with it would indicate that it should be =)

Seriously, it's a solid deck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yes, no stroking your ego, no being completely gay either; cause we have young players in here. And before someone makes the cliche comment, yes I know gay is interchangeable with merry.

Anyways, considering the ally reliant deck, I'm surprised you opted for Flaming Arrow over, say, Extra Sharp. Surprise Attack over Bazaar is interesting too.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAdolt View Post
    Yes, no stroking your ego, no being completely gay either; cause we have young players in here. And before someone makes the cliche comment, yes I know gay is interchangeable with merry.

Anyways, considering the ally reliant deck, I'm surprised you opted for Flaming Arrow over, say, Extra Sharp. Surprise Attack over Bazaar is interesting too.
    I consider myself young ! In any case just to say something - in the year I spent following and playing MTG closely - there have always been NO MORE than 4 archetypes at one moment that have been truly competitive. I mean just look at what decks the top 8 players have used... I remember a time when there were really just two - I don't remember names, but they were huge! WB control and something that involved 3 colors and a card called Maelstrom Pulse...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've only seen and destroyed 1 banebow deck that I recall in pvp. I just don't think it's competitive enough. the lack of card draw is worrisome and i would a save the death traps till the end when i know an aeon is coming out. overall it's a fast deck and banebow's ability is far better than eladwen's so you can take care of the allies the first few rounds and rampage.

this really does looking interesting to play, but if you don't draw a bad santa you'll lose steam fast.

edit: okay, noticed what surprise attack was. very good choice imo.

bazaar is a double edge sword. and if you play eladwen or any other hero other than darkclaw you don't want it out. portal makes every card a burn and you want the most out of you army. so i think surprise attack is a good choice.
    Last edited by autumnleaf; 03-07-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Banebow himself is amazing, the best hero in the game. Unfortunately you have to play quite a few junk cards with him, and therein lies the problem.
    Constructed deck power level should not be a consideration when setting the rarity of a card.
    Frustrated by the lack of in-game chat? Talkinate! http://talkinator.com/t8r.jsp?b=ShadowEra

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    this really does looking interesting to play, but if you don't draw a bad santa you'll lose steam fast.

edit: okay, noticed what surprise attack was. very good choice imo.

bazaar is a double edge sword. and if you play eladwen or any other hero other than darkclaw you don't want it out. portal makes every card a burn and you want the most out of you army. so i think surprise attack is a good choice.
    It's true, it has at time lost some steam, but for as little control is actually (seemingly) built into the deck, between the Flaming Arrows and Banebow's ability, creature control is only a hard point late in the game if they manage to drop three or four allies in one turn. Even Aeon doesn't really intimidate me all that much as long as I have an ally or two on the board.

That, coupled with the fact that no one EVER seems to expect (or, since no one plays hunter decks, even KNOW about) Death Trap means that opponents never seem to notice when they're about the throw away their Aeon (or whomever) when they see a facedown card just sitting there.

I originally had it with 4 Bad Santas in it, but I thought that gives my opp too much help drawing creature control, so I opted for 2 Bad Santa and 2 Surprise Attack. Bad Santa I only really use if I get i on the opening hand and can use it turn two to draw three, while my opp only gets to draw one from it.

Bazaar is okay, but not for what I need the Banebow deck to do. It doesn't need a ton of card drawing, as it tends to stay dominant, once it becomes established. Try it out. I'm not closed to critiques.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm giving the deck a shot right now. I'm a little worried about the size and the drawing but we shall see and i'll give ya some input.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I looked at your deck and can say that the only part of it is those gay (not merry mind you) Gargoyles. Also Banebow doing 4 damage every 3nd turn is bad mojo. No disrespect to the card devs but somehow I don't think they know how to strike the balance when card designing.
    Last edited by Sorter; 03-07-2011 at 08:45 PM.