Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Unbalanced and NPE are different.

Imagine a dinner party, with 20 guests. They can all choose what they want to eat from the buffet. They each have different tastes, but they are all catered for, so no one goes hungry. That's balanced.

If one of the guest eats too much, so others go hungry, that's OP.

Now imagine one of the guests chucks all the food out the window. That's NPE.

Assuming the best dinner parties have a variety of guests, who all get enough to eat (i.e. balanced), there is a trade-off between inviting everyone for variety versus keeping certain guests (who are OP or cause NPE) off the premises.

It's a hard choice to make, but since this is the first full set of cards, and we can add more variety in future, we have attempted to eliminate all abusive cards from set1, thereby leaving a great set of balanced cards and lots of enjoyable variety.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by GondorianDotCom View Post
    Unbalanced and NPE are different.

Imagine a dinner party, with 20 guests. They can all choose what they want to eat from the buffet. They each have different tastes, but they are all catered for, so no one goes hungry. That's balanced.

If one of the guest eats too much, so others go hungry, that's OP.

Now imagine one of the guests chucks all the food out the window. That's NPE.

Assuming the best dinner parties have a variety of guests, who all get enough to eat (i.e. balanced), there is a trade-off between inviting everyone for variety versus keeping certain guests (who are OP or cause NPE) off the premises.

It's a hard choice to make, but since this is the first full set of cards, and we can add more variety in future, we have attempted to eliminate all abusive cards from set1, thereby leaving a great set of balanced cards and lots of enjoyable variety.
    Tl;dr - npe is catering to who cries the loudest.
    Coder of the Night -- A1 : Evolution in Theory

Member of the Player's Focus Group 1

My Decks:
    -------------

My Articles:
    My Strategy articles compilation

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This term is new to me, so this is pretty interesting to hear. Could you give me an example of a card that was, say, NPE but not imbalanced?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Varalas View Post
    This term is new to me, so this is pretty interesting to hear. Could you give me an example of a card that was, say, NPE but not imbalanced?
    V 1.29 Darkclaw - capable of stalling the game for five or more turns at a time, usually dealing minimal damage but capable of bursts. Fairly easily dealt with via item removal such as Shriek, Misplaced, Destroy Arms (now Focused Prayer), etc., but caused problems for people who weren't prepared, had bad draws, or were new too the game. The feeling of helplessness as a result of five or more turns of invulnerability resulted in the label NPE, but the number of readily available counters prevented him from being OP.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Unbalanced cards may lead to NPE. Therefore, they are two different things. You can't mash them into one just because one may be caused by the other.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Right. Just so I'm clear on this, do you also know a card which is imbalanced but not NPE?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, people were complaining that 1.29 Eladwen were imba but she was quite fun to play. NPE is a relative thing. A stall 1.29 DC might enjoy playing that way but it is completely another story for the opponent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This is about as useless as posts that are all abbreviations. You're using the same abbreviations for different cards...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I made this because I don't like abbreviations myself. I can now check it whenever I can't remember an abbreviation people are posting on the board. It's true some abbreviations refer to more than one thing. For that there is a thing called context. You can benefit from it. I only use abbreviations in my posts if the full card name is mentioned previously in the same post of mine or the person above me/OP mentioned its full name.

And, no, I wouldn't call it useless definitely as I'm using it. If you're finding it useless, too bad for you.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You can add IRC, Internet Relay Chat and its adress, i think that could help.
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱