Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by kilgoretrout103 View Post
    I'm still waiting to hear a good argument for Brutalis.

Here are the useful things I could see him doing in a game:
    -Killing Kris
    -Dealing an extra one point in combination with Majiya's ability.

Here's everything it WON'T do:
    -Actually stem the tide of an early rush. Sure, you'll kill Kris if they play him, but this guy's not doing anything to Puwen, Aldon, etc. They'll just ignore him and go for Majiya.
    -Do ANYTHING relevant past turn four. He's auto-sac after that.
    -Contribute anything to killing the opposing Hero in Stage 2.

In my opinion, there are just better uses for this slot. If you're worried about the early game, Clinging Webs will serve better. If you want to add to the late game, you could throw in Shriek of Vengeance and Evil Ascendant that the OP cut for lack of room.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something big here?
    I was going to respond in detail about Brutalis, but Sisyphos has summed his uses up quite well. That 1 extra damage is a lot better than it might seem when he's alongside Majiya and her burn. Unlike Gravebone, Majiya can compete for the early board quite well, and Brutalis really helps her to do that, while maintaining a board presence in to the mid game if my opponent ignores him. He's not auto-sac after turn four either as Sisyphos showed. Brutalis is easy to overlook as an ally, but his uses are not to be underestimated.

Also, bear in mind that if you use Clinging Webs, that you still have to kill the ally later, using up your burn cards, which is best avoided if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by glencocoe View Post
    I won't divulge my deck yet, but in short I use Ogloth, shadow knights & sacrificial lamb. Off the bat, people kill behemoth, retreat him, or disable him anyways...might as well get a card from it for use as resources or fuel for Ogloth.

Against warriors, I'd get pissed w/my gargoyles getting crippled...but they're a great card. Not quite my style, but I still admire gargoyle. What about the tidal waves & the novas used against you? Getting a PB Wiped sucks :/

anyways great deck spectrl. You'd be surprised how durable Ogloth is. At first I felt the same way EXACTLY. I stuck to SK/PB...even tried Molten destroyer. But liked PB for the indirect damage and usefulness after a crippling blow. But ogloths great because he has 6hp and his ability works after crippling as well. Let me just say w/the amount of resources you'll have for the next turn, getting rid of allies, and doing damage is great, honestly, a crippled Ogloth is gonna be a PEST.

Anyways, sacrificial lamb is great for arrow abilities to benefit from inevitable death. And other situations like getting frozen, etc.

I thought Ogloth was dumb too, but give him a chance. You do have to build around him though.

But @ any rate, I can appreciate the simplicity
    Gargoyle is a beast, that's it

Anyway, to address your thoughts in turn...

If I get Supernova-ed then that means my opponent:
    a) Is a mage, which Majiya is rather good against anyway.
    b) Is a mage that just took 5 damage - one step closer to stage 2.
    I'm not too worried about Supernova. If they respond to my Behemoth with a Supernova then, as long as I have kept my burn, I should be able to regain the board and go for the throat.

As for Tidal Wave. Well, just as bad against Ogloth too, no? Priests are good, but overall they're not worth changing the deck for.

I perhaps should have mentioned Ogloth in the OP. He is a very strong ally, but he doesn't fit nearly as well in to this deck as Plasma Behemoth does. PB is far more suited to this deck's aims that Ogloth in that his versatile damage output is so much more useful and his cost is lower. He can help you get that midgame board control that this deck needs, while coming in and dealing 7 damage off the bat, speeding up your stage 2 burn-down. I don't think Ogloth is dumb, not at all, I just don't like him in this deck. If you are saying that you are using PB, Ogloth and Shadow Knight, then that really isn't for this deck. To be honest, if you're looking to build around Ogloth then Gravebone is a much more suitable hero/mage to do that with in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by danae View Post
    My first act as a forum mod has been done. 1.3 -> 1.5... tada!
    <3

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Spectrl, totally off topic but:

I'd rather kiss Majiya than kiss Victor.

Sorry, lame jokes done now.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Spectrl, totally off topic but:

I'd rather kiss Majiya than kiss Victor.

Sorry, lame jokes done now.
    What can I say? We have 3 SE girls now, so gotta appeal to everyone

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I sometimes debate snake over brutalis. But I always go back to brut, it is a hassle to spend resources or attacks or dmt pings just to kill him. But if u don't he will nag nag nag.

Gargoyle on the other hand is a top 3 ally in the game, both sides included. He even got better with 1.5. He laughs at Moltens ablaze effect, is super resilient vs the popular mages burn spells, and just completely whizzes all over the chest and face of cobra demon.
    Montanx - Knight of the old realm
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I love this deck plays really nice, I played a lot of Majiya in 1.25 back when you played 30 card decks, and your deck helped me to get into the new metta after a long pause.
    I restarted to play shadow era got just a few days ago and I already got two 9-win streeks out of it but still stuck at ~300 but this could simply be me

One of the feelings I had with this deck was that Wulven Tracker seems theoretical better than he plays out.

I am currently thinking of replacing him with Shadow Knight.

Here a my reasons:
    Shadow Knight is basically +1 creature draw and Wulfen Tracker rarely gets more then one hit anyway, most of the time if he does you are already winning.
    As to the 5cc vs 4cc, turn 4 I rarely play a Wulfen Tracker more often I am forced to use a Lighting Strike or Death Mage Thaddeus for the one extra damage to clean the board. If not I play Tome of Knowledge +1 draw/+Brutalis.
    Shadow Knight does serious damage and negates the chance to drop a fatty like Armored Sandworm, which good anti-mage decks seem to center around.
    An two round unchecked Shadow Knight does +10 damage with Wulfen you get +4 damage and a draw, which does not seem much better.

Well the whole thing does screw with the Resource Curve quite a bit so, this deck variant might need some further changes (e.g. + Sacrificial Lamb) but what do you think is my reasoning flawed? Did you have the same experience concerning Wulfen Tracker.

PS.: I still think this one of the most solid and thought through non Portal Majiya decks out there.
    Similar in quality to Killtrend 1.25 Gravebella Beatdown (Gravebone) deck or Yaemon's Majiya Tournament deck which I considered the benchmarks of both Heros.
    PPS.: Played against some really strong Portal Majiya decks anybody knows how a similar solid one of those might look?
    Last edited by SolomonGrundy; 03-18-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    How do u destroy portal? IGG? Tome? JD? LLN can't destroy JD. I destroy even Bazaar when I play with Majiya.
    Perhaps it's better to add some Shrieks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Datka View Post
    How do u destroy portal? IGG? Tome? JD? LLN can't destroy JD. I destroy even Bazaar when I play with Majiya.
    Perhaps it's better to add some Shrieks.
    I beliieeevveeeeeee it's only counter are:

Shrine of negatia - human
    Focused prayer - priest
    shriek of vengeance - shadow

So if you're willing to fit 2-3 in, then that'll do. Shrine of negatia will really mess things up for practically a penny's worth of resources lol.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

No Portal?

I always have heard that Majiya is a great Hero for using Portal, why do you not have any?