Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Flavour text a bit lacking?

Just wondering, but is there anyone else who finds it a bit ... lacking?

I mean, with MTG I find it piques my interest in the actual universe that the cards are set in and it, well, makes for nice flavour. I mean take for example my Indomitable Archangel, it says:

"Every sword drawn to defend is an angelic blade, guided to justice by an angelic hand." - Auriok proverb

Now something like that I find interesting, and inspires me to learn more about what the Auriok actually are. On the other hand, you have Shadow Era (I mean I love the game, but still) with say, the Plasma Behemoth which just says:

"Wow, that thing is biiiig."

Now that doesn't make me curious or even remotely interested in the card at all. I'm not sure if it's just because the lore around SE hasn't really been built much, but I just generally find the flavour text uninspiring, and frankly, quite dull. There's nothing wrong with humourous flavour (MTG does this too, take Foul Imp for example), but .... yeah, I'm rambling.

Opinions?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Lore is just fine, I enjoy my fair share. However, if lore is what I'm craving, I would play an RPG, not a TCG. To me humor is just fine for a card game.
    I made pumpkins! Firesnake and Plasma Behemoth.
    I daydream about cards too.

My 1.5 Moonstalker deck.

Nizaris - The Characterless Character
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

You can read about us OR join us!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm not on about an entire paragraph of text, just something which sparks my imagination and piques my interest. Reading how something is "biiiig" or "[that's] no worm" is just ... dull.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    We've had some fierce debates about the topic in the past. I'm with you, I like lore in flavor text, but keep in mind, even magic cards have plenty of generic flavor text as well. Not all of them have lore.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, but you have to agree with him/her. Little quips that are probably dick jokes don't pass for flavor text.

For example, instead of "Wow, that thing is biiiig"; "Nobody likes to see a giant, so be glad this one burns out your eyes." or "Of course someone hears a tree being felled in the forest! Something had to knock it down."

Or "That's no worm..."; "To the worms, even the harshest desert is hospitable." or "Decades of scourging sands have warped his hide. What chance does your blade have?"

Instead...we have things that aren't funny, nor important, nor interesting, nor at the very least seem like flavor text at all.

Even if it doesn't include lore, you can still have creative flavours, that at least give the idea of a history or a social prescence. Soul Seeker's flavour is great, but it can be better if it says who THEY are. Seriously, who the hell are they? For that reason, Blake's flavour text is amazing. Wrath and Voice? Both great, if you can attribute the quotes to someone. Then it gives those cards a name to attribute, and those figures have a prescence to them. You can tell Person A is a chaotic mage, whereas B is either little bit sadistic, or really sarcastic. But even then, you don't NEED names, because the flavours catch attention and hold interest.
    Last edited by Ekoz; 02-07-2012 at 12:50 AM.
    85-Card mini-set: Gate of the Steelbound.

So you want to take a poll? ∙ Affectionate TVTransvestite TwinRacist CowBag of Dicks

The pen is mightier than the sword, but actions speak louder than words.
    Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts.
    Sometimes a little chaos is in order.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekoz View Post
    "Nobody likes to see a giant, so be glad this one burns out your eyes."
    +1 xD

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I too would like to see a bit more evolution in the flavour text. In 1.3 they are working on the flavour text in the test server. Some of the new cards have some pretty good flavour text. I wouldn't mind seeing some more work like that. On a side note, how do I do a link to the cards like Ekoz did with Blake and SoulSeeker?
    I cast spell!
    *Universe implodes*

IGN: Rhonsus

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    just type the card name, or in some cases, a more condensed version. kinda like what you just did with Blake.
    85-Card mini-set: Gate of the Steelbound.

So you want to take a poll? ∙ Affectionate TVTransvestite TwinRacist CowBag of Dicks

The pen is mightier than the sword, but actions speak louder than words.
    Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts.
    Sometimes a little chaos is in order.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Well, i agree that the flavour text is kinda dull and doesn't make a good advert for the lore and background of the story, but i suspect that with the emergence of the first stories surrounding the world of Shadow Era and the fact that we now have an official design team member that will attend this specific task, this will be a thing of the past.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekoz View Post
    just type the card name, or in some cases, a more condensed version. kinda like what you just did with Blake.
    Thx, i realized it after i posted. Also I put a message on your card ideas post. Great idea btw.
    I cast spell!
    *Universe implodes*

IGN: Rhonsus