Close

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wording errors

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    BTW, Crescendo was recently fixed in v3.11: "At the start of each turn, Crescendo gains 1 defense. At the end of your turn, if Crescendo has 5 defense, it is destroyed and all opposing allies are killed."
    Reading "At the start of each turn" I interpreted every turn in game (my own turns and turns of my opponent), but behaviour is gaining 1 defense only in my own turns. Then I looked at wordings of other cards and maybe found some optimization:

Lance, Gwen, MS, Chimera, Into the Forest, Extra Sharp: "...until your next turn..."
    DC, Holy Shield, Full moon: "...until start of your next turn..."
    Drain Power: "...until the start of your next turn..."

Bad Wolf, Lone Wolf, Good/Evil Ascendant: "...at start of your turn..."
    Nova infusion: "...at the start of your turn..."
    Poison Gas, Engulfing flames, Wrath of summer: "...at the start of every turn..."
    Serena, Logan, Medusil, Assassin Cloak, Lay low: "...until end of your turn..."
    Reconnaissance, FangsotP: "...until the end of the turn..."
    Rain Delay, Urgendt Business:" ...until the end of your next turn..."
    Jasmine: "...until the end of their next turn..."
    Snow Sapphire, Rabid Bite: "...until the end of their next turn..."

Hellsteed: "..during your turn..."
    Aldon, Lance: "...on your turn..."

Rapid Fire, Speedstrike: "...twice each turn..."
    Cover of Night: "...for the next two turns..."
    Valiant Defender: "...on the next two turns..."
    Anklebreaker: "...for 1 turn..."
    Voice of Winter, Eladwen: "..for 2 turns..."
    Net Trap: "...disabled for 3 turns..."

• sometimes it says "start" and somtimes "the start"
    • sometimes numbers are used "2", "3", sometimes words "two", "three"
    • sometimes it says "for 2 turns" and sometimes "for next 2 turns"
    • sometimes it says "until your next turn" and sometimes "until start of your next turn"
    • sometimes it says "during your" and sometimes "on your", sometimes "for your"
    • sometimes it says "your turn" and sometimes "each turn" and sometimes "every turn"

Now everything turns around me. Thats the end of my turn, I mean every turn...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @Kyle, a big thanks for your reply. To clarify a couple of points:

-That "everything in Shadow Era is damage" is a bit of "insider" information that is not readily apparent to players (especially since MTG works the opposite) unless they find it out from the forums or by personal experience. Not knowing it can translate into confusion about Holy Shield and in the worst case scenario, somebody could lose a tournament match because they tried to kill a shielded ally with a Tidal Wave or Mind Control. So, perhaps mentioning this "everything is damage"-info in the tutorial and the rulebook could make more people aware of it. Also, consider adding clarification text to Holy Shield in the vein of "(This effect also prevents the ally from being killed.)". This would ensure that even people who don't read the detailed rules understand the card properly.

-You might consider a rule that says something like "An ally that would be destroyed is considered to be killed", just in case that sometime in the future an ally could somehow end up being destroyed. (Like an ally that would also count as another type of card that can be "destroyed".)

Of course, if all this seems trivial, then nothing needs to be done .

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Awer View Post
    @Kyle, a big thanks for your reply. To clarify a couple of points:

-That "everything in Shadow Era is damage" is a bit of "insider" information that is not readily apparent to players (especially since MTG works the opposite) unless they find it out from the forums or by personal experience. Not knowing it can translate into confusion about Holy Shield and in the worst case scenario, somebody could lose a tournament match because they tried to kill a shielded ally with a Tidal Wave or Mind Control. So, perhaps mentioning this "everything is damage"-info in the tutorial and the rulebook could make more people aware of it. Also, consider adding clarification text to Holy Shield in the vein of "(This effect also prevents the ally from being killed.)". This would ensure that even people who don't read the detailed rules understand the card properly.

-You might consider a rule that says something like "An ally that would be destroyed is considered to be killed", just in case that sometime in the future an ally could somehow end up being destroyed. (Like an ally that would also count as another type of card that can be "destroyed".)

Of course, if all this seems trivial, then nothing needs to be done .
    All this will be explained in the rule book indeed. Extra clarifications on Holy Shield sounds like a great idea, if the text will fit.

Here are example term definitions:

killed = dealt sufficient damage to reduce health points to 0

destroyed = if an ally, then it is killed; otherwise, the card is removed from play and put in the graveyard

Thanks for your useful feedback. Please keep it coming. It's great to have more eyes on the finer details.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wil the term "each turn" be corrected to "your turn" (referring to post #21)?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramirez Delgado View Post
    Wil the term "each turn" be corrected to "your turn" (referring to post #21)?
    I believe all of them have been caught and addressed in the upcoming 1.311.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Just want to add something not mentioned above... Brutal Minotaur should be worded "When Brutal Minotaur is put into graveyard from play..." why? well, in the current state, when he is in play and is disabled, his ability shouldn't work, since it is disabled...so as it stays, he shouldn't deal the damage when he is disabled and dies, which isn't the case...so it should be as I've written before...and also no one mentioned Beetle Demon Bow, which I mentioned here http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....etle-Demon-Bow

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Firehelp View Post
    Just want to add something not mentioned above... Brutal Minotaur should be worded "When Brutal Minotaur is put into graveyard from play..." why? well, in the current state, when he is in play and is disabled, his ability shouldn't work, since it is disabled...so as it stays, he shouldn't deal the damage when he is disabled and dies, which isn't the case...so it should be as I've written before...and also no one mentioned Beetle Demon Bow, which I mentioned here http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....etle-Demon-Bow
    I don't understand. Sent to the graveyard from play = killed.
    I made pumpkins! Firesnake and Plasma Behemoth.
    I daydream about cards too.

My 1.5 Moonstalker deck.

Nizaris - The Characterless Character
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

You can read about us OR join us!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Firehelp View Post
    Disabled only affects Activated abilities (the ones with costs before them) not other text. So a disabled BM still gives its owner 2 damage when it dies and a whole lot of heartache

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Just like a disabled Aldon still buffs allies and a disabled Aeon still is protector
    Spartan guardian of A1

Holder of:
    -Highest rate in history of SE trueskill,401pts
    -Highest winstreak in SE (40 wins)
    -2 #1 in ladder
    -Most top10s achieved in ladder
    -Winner of biggest tourney ever held in SE, SlugfestIV
    -#4 in WC2017
    -Member of all PFGs
    -Member of the 1st podcast of SE, State of the Era
    -Author of A1 project Omega

-Member of A1 Leadership