Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Awall!!! View Post
    I think another point is that shadow era is very different from any of the other card games out there. It has no separate mana source so you never get bogged down. Like you can do in MTG there is nothing worse than a Hand full of land. Secondly the incorporation of the hero actually having a separate ability is also a very unique point in the game. Though yes the game is relatively new in comparison, I don't think this game will be competing head on with other games. I know myself have already ordered the physical cards and intend on still playing magic. As will many others.
    not saying that this isn't a good game, but both of the "unique" features you mentioned (any-card mana and hero abilities) are things WoWTCG already introduced to the genre. Shadow Era has taken those previous innovations to the genre and added its own - primarily the platform but also some gameplay things like the shadow energy mechanic.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    i agree with you. i think the game has found a niche online and on mobile platforms. why be a mediocre choice in an over-saturated tcg market when you can be the best choice for online tcg (and have been as shouwn by the various awards and download count)? why devote time and money to it when you could invest that back into the already successful online platform? seemed like an odd move to me.

Some players are very excited to see this come to their tabletops but im not excited at all. You cannot balance cards that are already in print so after set 1 is done thats it. no more balance tweaks. not a smart move the way i see it but there are greater minds at work than mine so perhaps this will prove me wrong and turn into something great. i hope im just too short-sighted to see it.
    Last edited by Erokk88; 01-16-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukeboxer View Post
    I just hope they use physical cards as an excuse to take dimension ripper out of the game

That card is dumb.
    +1 ...(million)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    totalbiscuit posted a mailbox about this, what i remember he said (this are just speculations of course):

Physical cards are just a bonus, the main game will always be the online game. why? physical cards can't get balanced, when a card is overpowered it just get banned, where on the online version, you can reduce it's stats, balance it after its release.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobabble View Post
    not saying that this isn't a good game, but both of the "unique" features you mentioned (any-card mana and hero abilities) are things WoWTCG already introduced to the genre. Shadow Era has taken those previous innovations to the genre and added its own - primarily the platform but also some gameplay things like the shadow energy mechanic.
    Yeah, I was about to say. MtG has heroes that you can play on the board that have three abilities that can be used at the cost of its life.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by batonbleu View Post
    totalbiscuit posted a mailbox about this, what i remember he said (this are just speculations of course):

Physical cards are just a bonus, the main game will always be the online game. why? physical cards can't get balanced, when a card is overpowered it just get banned, where on the online version, you can reduce it's stats, balance it after its release.
    see i heard that any physical iteration of the card will cast that card figuratively in stone. Another thread i started on a similar topic had that response. Once set 1 is complete and in print, thats it, its final is what i got from the answers. I think that is a bad move but i understand that there is also a positive side to knowing that a card you own wont be changing (even if that comes to the lament of nerf-hungry opponents). one of the plus' to this game was the fact it has been constantly rebalanced and i think that will keep the game fresh, fair, and not bogged down with seeing the same OP decks over and over again. Im interested to see if eventually they retire sets to release completely new ones (similar to physical tcgs like magic) id much prefer a HUGE cardbase that allows for new strategies incorporating old cards but balance is VERY difficult to uphold doing that. well see how things go.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Erokk88 View Post
    see i heard that any physical iteration of the card will cast that card figuratively in stone. Another thread i started on a similar topic had that response. Once set 1 is complete and in print, thats it, its final is what i got from the answers. I think that is a bad move but i understand that there is also a positive side to knowing that a card you own wont be changing (even if that comes to the lament of nerf-hungry opponents). one of the plus' to this game was the fact it has been constantly rebalanced and i think that will keep the game fresh, fair, and not bogged down with seeing the same OP decks over and over again. Im interested to see if eventually they retire sets to release completely new ones (similar to physical tcgs like magic) id much prefer a HUGE cardbase that allows for new strategies incorporating old cards but balance is VERY difficult to uphold doing that. well see how things go.
    Interestingly Magic the Gathering does errata its physical cards from time to time.

They have a page called Gatherer which has updated wordings to reflect new rules changes or rules text regulations, with the effect that on very old cards what they do in "official rulings" is different from what the cards say!

However with now they update wordings extremely rarely, in part due to their increased skill with game design.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That is nice to hear.. although after playing MTG for years, only thing I gained was an empty pocket (collection yes, but hardly worth the time and money).

Also, its a sad fact that game wont even allow you to play unless you pay $8-10 for a starter deck alone. And pay minimum $12-16 just for entering a tournament. (although i must applaud, they conduct tourney on a daily basis, and there are bigger ones occasionally)

Bottomline for me is, SE really served my $$ worth. Not to mention a really healthy community which really help each other around.