Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Physical cards affecting the game

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but I feel that Shadow Era making its debut into the world of physical cards is not a very good decision.

Currently Shadow Era is the premier TCG for mobile devices like androids and iphones. The major pulls of its game design are that the game is easily accessible on the go, can be played anywhere, any time with little hassle, and has surprisingly deep gameplay.

However certain key features of the game, such as the total lack of involvement of an opponent on one's own turn, will be severely affected by venturing into the realm of physical cards. Interacting with the opponent on his/her own turn adds a whole new level of complexity to the game and is necessary if you want your physical card game to improve. But if you venture this route, you'll be tackling the major players of the tcg market head-on. If you don't implement "instant" cards that allow you to do things on an opponent's turn, your physical card game is going to lose out in depth and you'll be hard pressed to keep alive in the market.

However if Shadow Era does go ahead to implement these "instant" cards, then the gameplay is going to be excessively complex for mobile platforms. If I'm not wrong, Kyle said that he wanted to avoid this so that gameplay would be less draggy. (A wise move for a game targeting mobile platform users)

I jusr want to point out a pitfall I see lying ahead, and hope that Shadow Era does not overlook the importance of the mobile platform user community. This is because as far as I can see Shadow Era is currently the leader in this niche and should capitalize on it ><

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good points. I don't think it would be something bad though. This way turns last much less long, especially in physical games. And, while they options are (very) limited, you CAN anticipate the things your opponent will do on his turn. You'll interact somewhat, but you'll do it on your turn, instead of your opponent's turn. Like trap cards for example. You'll still be the one that has to activate them, since your opponent doesn't know (in later sets, when more traps are introduced) what trap cards you have.

Also, protector cards, anticipate actions your opponent can do on his turn.
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerOfTruth View Post
    However certain key features of the game, such as the total lack of involvement of an opponent on one's own turn, will be severely affected by venturing into the realm of physical cards. Interacting with the opponent on his/her own turn adds a whole new level of complexity to the game and is necessary if you want your physical card game to improve. But if you venture this route, you'll be tackling the major players of the tcg market head-on. If you don't implement "instant" cards that allow you to do things on an opponent's turn, your physical card game is going to lose out in depth and you'll be hard pressed to keep alive in the market.
    Not true; several card games involve doing nothing during your opponents turn. The one that comes to my mind at the moment is Pokemon, which has been going on for over a decade, nearly as long as M:tG. Outside of CCGs, there are many games that can involve long periods of not doing anything while waiting on your opponent. Have you ever watched two highly ranked chess players? There's a reason that official matches have a turn timer, and they just make one move per turn.

Furthermore, I think that the physical and electronic platforms are going to have slightly different target audiences, in a large part due to the availability of rare/powerful cards. The collectors and more casual players will lean towards physical since it will be fun searching for those rare cards and designing decks around them, while the competitive players will lean towards the electronic because they can readily collect all the rare/powerful cards they need for the most powerful decks.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Warr Byrd View Post
    Furthermore, I think that the physical and electronic platforms are going to have slightly different target audiences, in a large part due to the availability of rare/powerful cards. The collectors and more casual players will lean towards physical since it will be fun searching for those rare cards and designing decks around them, while the competitive players will lean towards the electronic because they can readily collect all the rare/powerful cards they need for the most powerful decks.
    Point taken about Pokemon. Perhaps the lack of interactivity on opponent's turn might not be too much of a hindrance.

IN any case I feel that incorporating the physical cards will limit design space to some extent. This is because some mechanics that are easily implemented on electronic platforms might not be convenient to use on physical cards (i.e. transforming mechanics etc) If card design has to take into consideration the limitations of physical gameplay, Shadow Era might not be able realize the full potential of its current, unique niche.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I think another point is that shadow era is very different from any of the other card games out there. It has no separate mana source so you never get bogged down. Like you can do in MTG there is nothing worse than a Hand full of land. Secondly the incorporation of the hero actually having a separate ability is also a very unique point in the game. Though yes the game is relatively new in comparison, I don't think this game will be competing head on with other games. I know myself have already ordered the physical cards and intend on still playing magic. As will many others.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The physical cards are already forcing several things:

- Release a whole balanced set and move on. No more nerfs!
    - Clarify all card text so that it's clear and can be understood on its own. No more confusion and inconsistencies!

This is verrry good for the game as you'll see in a few weeks! Going forward, no platform either digital or physical will dictate the design philosophy. We'll continue to expand the game and let it live up to its potential, but certain things such as our "no interrupts" rule will never change.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

- Clarify all card text so that it's clear and can be understood on its own. No more confusion and inconsistencies!

This is verrry good for the game as you'll see in a few weeks! Going forward, no platform either digital or physical will dictate the design philosophy. We'll continue to expand the game and let it live up to its potential, but certain things such as our "no interrupts" rule will never change.
    This.

As long as physical cards are released after they are made available and fully tested in the digital format, i don't see a problem.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lucky junior member gets a reply from Kyle himself. Heh.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

A very just mindset there Kyle.I, for one, don't think that i will play the game in the physical format,because eventually it would become quite expensive and secondly i wouldn't have that many players to face off with in my country compared to the online environment.But nevertheless i will strive to have at least a copy of all the cards released in physical format,like the collector's edition set you are selling now,just for collecting purposes,not for deck building,playing,etc.

Banned
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I just hope they use physical cards as an excuse to take dimension ripper out of the game

That card is dumb.