Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Splurge: Now or Later?

Come this friday I will be buying the $20 Physical starter decks which comes with 2700 SC + codes when they get here. I'm pretty new to the game and the community and wanted some advice before I went hog wild in the shop.

First off a question. With the release of 1.3 the card count in the starter decks is increased to 40. Will this change thier price?

Secondly, my collection of cards if very limited at the moment. I have bought the Hunter and Rouge starter decks and used the rest of my SC from leveling to buy Elemental starters for gold. I'm really getting into the game now with a descent Gwen deck, but I want to start trying to get more cards for my collection. Would it be wise to hold off until 1.3 is released to get more cards for my money? This goes with my first question as well. If the price is raised would it be better, then, to buy the starters now?

I know in the end it's my decision, but any suggestions would be greatly considered. Thanks

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm not sure anymore, but when I first joined Shadow Era, I spent about $40 on shadow crystals. I've literally not had to spend another dime since then, and have a complete collection. The initial $40 bought me a nearly complete playset (which was a smaller card pool) at the time, with a little left over. I've been able to get full sets of the new cards when released from gold/leveling since then.

So I guess I would recommend going ahead and buying the cards now. You'll get lots of fun new things with which to play, which will keep the game fresh. And once new cards hit, all the gold you've saved up from playing will take you pretty far.

EDIT: Also, while I appreciate how cheap Shadow Era is, I do think Kyle is pricing this too low. I hate to make recommendations which hurt me as a player, but I want Wulven to continue succeeding, and a bit of a price bump wouldn't hurt. I would recommend he do something like make packs of the new set twice as expensive as the old set (price can come down once the third set is released), that way people can continue to grind if they want, and those willing to support the game with $ will do so and get the newer cards more quickly.
    Last edited by Athena; 01-11-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: typo

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Shadow Crystal price for the digital starter and booster packs should not be changing anytime soon, I'm pretty sure. If you're planning on mainly buying starter packs, I guess waiting would be better since starter packs will be bumped up to 40 cards. But the question is, do you really want to sit and wait? ^^

Regarding a price bump, maintaining a revenue stream is not as simple as just increasing the price of things to drive up profit. Demand tapers with higher price points and there can be a fair amount of math involved in calculating maximized returns. Admittedly though, a good chunk of the calculation involves personal perception and margins of error that aren't fine and precise.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Lizard: I would get gold now and wait until the player auction system to buy your cards as all the old cards should be cheaper then compared to now
    Resident dealer of Dead Man's hand of A1: Evolution in Theory

Check out www.a1-alliance.org to find out all about us, and Ask A1! Also now out, Project Omega, a full shadowera Wiki + exclusive strategy guides!

Click for my Beginners Guide to Shadow Era Heroes

Siege on A1 - the toughest challenge yet. Have you got what it takes? Over 17,000 crystals up for grabs!

Recent accolades:
    TJ Gauntlet Finalist!
    PFG Tournament Winner
    PFG 1 & 2 member
    Crown 14 RU
    Guild Wars #1 winners

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'll wait on the starter decks I want, but I'll grab up some gold in the meantime. Sounds like a plan 8D

Shadow Era