Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lightbulb [MERCHANT] Upcoming Auction House and Inflation

TLTR:
    Levelling and fighting the AI (as well as other players) is like printing money. You do not want to print money if You are a "government". Do something about it

I was reading the thread in the "Dev Blog" section and, a question came to me: how are You planing to regulate the problem of inflation?

At the moment the AH will be implemented there will be X gold in the economy and Y cards - if I understand correctly the only way to get more cards into the "global market" will be trough shadow crystals - and that is ok, it will surly put the proper demand on them eventually after the market stabilizes (will take 2-5 weeks) but someday You will release a new expansion and suddenly because of the way how the free market works Prices for the new cards in gold will be astronomical.

Because of the fighting with A.I and levelling the X amount of gold will be incising all the time while the Y amount will get only higher when people buy shadow crystals and spend them on cards - that's a conflict in how the market should work.

Yes it will produce the demand for shadow crystals but at the same time gold WILL become irrelevant - only veteran players will have enough to actually purchase, a new card and new players will only have the option to buy shadow crystals and it will be very obvious to them - that will contradict the f2p part of shadow era (these players will quit instead of taking there time and eventually buying some shadow crystals - majority of their cards would be bought with gold but they would still buy SOME shadow crystals as well as increase the popularity of the game) - that is not good for business

I do have some suggestions on how to address that issue:

1) Remove the gold.
    A good solution balances X to Y directly and forces people even more into buying shadow crystals while at the same time gives new players just enough hope to keep them playing - the amount of SC rewarded for levelling and wining vs AI needs balancing of course.

2) Introduce gold dumps.
    It could be anything: alternative hero card avatars, booster packs, different font colour in chat, name change, rating reset...
    Prices based directly on the X amount of gold in the economy - veteran players will dump the gold on them thus stabilizing the market.

In my opinion You should combine the 2 above and gold should vanish. As for adding those "novelty items" I'm positive You are planing on putting them in to the game but not for the "free currency".

Also on another note: DO NOT ALLOW DIRECT TRADING BETWEEN PLAYERS - it will only create a "black market" and some of the money You could earn via SC will be distributed to 3rd party's.

If any details regarding the way You plan on implementing the AH, that would make my post Irrelevant had skipped my attention - I'm sorry. Also sorry for the wall of text and any grammar mistakes - English is not my main language.

Regards,

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperH3AD View Post
    [...]
    1) Remove the gold.
    [...]
    In my opinion You should combine the 2 above and gold should vanish.
    Seriously ?
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuequi View Post
    ahahahahah lmao
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Lol
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That is a very good point.

Another way would be if for any card you buy/sell there is a 'commission'.
    For eg, I propose to sell a card for 100g, it goes onto market, and when someone is willing to buy the card, they are charged 10% commission. So they pay 110g for the card. Then the seller is also charged 10% commission, so then I get 90g.
    This would help to combat inflation. The key to negate inflation is to get the right balance between comission percentage, and income from winning battles.

The one problem with my strategy is I dont believe the same cards are passed back and forth often enough to make enough of a difference.

P.s. on deeper consideration, is this the 'jumping the shark' moment? I sincerely hope not.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    LOL Kent...

@ Copperhead your English is great, I couldn't tell that it was not your first language... What are your thoughts on allowing gold to crystals conversion? When the auction system is implemented there should also be more ways to spend your crystals (high quality pre built decks, tournaments, possibly individual cards.)

It would limit the gold price of cards because at some point it will be cheaper to convert to crystal and buy the card directly from Wulven. F2P players would have an incentive to convert their gold to crystals so that they can play in tournaments.
    Hatts - A1's Mad Hatter - A1 alliance - Evolution in Theory.
    Regularly idling on the #shadowera IRC channel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @Kentuequi: I'm sure there would be some conversion - but You had me loling there

@EPITAPHEVERMORE: that probably would be the easiest to implement as a gold dump, nice idea.

@Hatts: well if Wulven would convert to a single currency model a ONE time conversion would be in order - as I mentioned above , but thinking long term having a simple way of converting one currency into another defeats the purpose of actually having 2 don't You think?

Removing the gold is quite experimental - moust f2p games have a dualcurrency model - novelty items are usually offered for the premium one so that makes the system easier to navigate for customers. But in this case I would say monocurrency is the way to go simply because You can't buy a card unless someone buys a booster or a deck 1st so you have a steady removal of currency and the only way for players to get more currency on the market is to buy SC from wulven + You balance the early level shadow crystals so new players can have a nice start while long term accounts get only a stedy income from games played (enough to buy competitive cards, but to get the best deck You need to buy some SC or play a lot)

P.s. on deeper consideration, is this the 'jumping the shark' moment? I sincerely hope not.
    Had to Google that idiom xD

In my opinion its never to late for changes. The question is actually how much are they needed and how big of a problem will the lack of 'em cause, and it is not mine to answer - to little statistical data
    Last edited by CopperH3AD; 01-11-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    We need merchant period!

Otherwise I'm stuck with my 100+ of Avery uncommon+
    For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Twitter: @N3rd4Christ | Skype: N3rd4Christ
    >>>>> My Trade Thread <<<<<

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperH3AD View Post
    1) Remove the gold.
    lol
    You do realise that's probably the easiest way to kill this game, right?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewk View Post
    lol
    You do realise that's probably the easiest way to kill this game, right?
    Please elaborate.

Unless You missed the post when I've explained there would had to be some conversion of gold into shadow crystals upon inclementation of a monocurrency system...