Close

Thread: Magic Wand

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Magic Wand

Magic Wand4.jpg
    Mages seem to be all burn and always late to the fight. The one thing that's missing from the Mage class is a good, cheap early game strategy that fits the class.

I started this in the Feedback & Suggestions forum, who all seem to want Mages to remain dependent on generic allies for the early game. I disagree. Why can't Mages have their own Spark, Pit Trap, or Big Teeth? If there ever was a unique item to identify a Mage, it was the Magic Wand.

As weapons go, it should be small and it's main power is control.

Today mages rely on generic weenie allies until they build up 4 resources to unload their wrath. Well, all this while there are sparks and pack wolves multiplying, nightshades and monstrous life-infused snakes. Other than ol' Kris, mages got no early game.

This thread is more about the Wand item itself rather than it's specific ability. I'm just saying, there needs to be a Magic Wand.

I dreamt up some possibilities below and created the cards, with my own nicknames. (Wish i knew about the template before tackling this LOL). We can talk about these or open the floor to other abilities for the MW.

Attachment 1613"Rollover Minutes"
    Attachment 1614"The Debit Card"
    Attachment 1615"Witch Doctor"
    Attachment 1616"Mr. Clean"
    Attachment 1617"Free Lunch"
    Attachment 1618"Dinner and a Show"
    Attachment 1619"Junk Shot"
    Attachment 1620"Can I Borrow a Cup of Sugar?"
    Last edited by Vogon Poet; 01-03-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added pictures

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thumbs up Debit Card version

Debit Card is one of my favorite Magic Wand concepts, and I don't believe it is overpowered.

This card allows the following options on turn 3:

Average turn 3 boost is about 2.2 damage for 2 resources.

It also allows dual Fireballs on turn 5 instead of turn 6, however a 2 resource item is easily handled at turn 5.

Weaknesses:
    • Cost = 2 makes it easy target for Destroy Arms (turn 3), Shriek of Vengeance (Turn 2).
    • If both Heroes have equal resources, Sandra Trueblade still takes a resource because of the Wand's boost, leaving you -1 for the rest of the game.
    • Here Be Monsters can hit you harder. Could hurt the middle game.
    • Poor Quality (turn 3)
    Last edited by Vogon Poet; 01-03-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean is no more powerful than Ghostmaker on a cost-equivalent scale. It's a simple way to purge those pesky Engulfing Flames or free up a Captured Prey for 2 resources. Targeting your opponent's attached effects can be more important however. Removing Rapidfire or Sorcerous Poison can save you much trouble.

I would consider limiting the ability to effects on your allies as well, if most feel this is still too powerful.