Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't find that my Eladwen deck doesn't have early game option problems but it does have early board control problems, but thats the point for mages. They struggle in the early game and then balance in middle then own late game.
    Last edited by Sombersleep; 01-01-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Current Projects- Getting good with Zhanna Bad Mom deck. Owner of 1 Cookie

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Montanx View Post
    I'm confused, how is Mage early game bad? My lead goes kris kris aldon jasmine a lot. I consider Mage early game among the best. Isn't it just based on ally pool? It's either shadow or human, what's so complicated?

Ok I saw allies were already brought up but still, retreat, Santa research. I had to cut piers cuz so many great 2 options.
    Your right, but mages don't use the allie pool to win they use it to soak up the initially damage coming there way from warrior and hunter decks which is traded off against the middle/later game where novas and current Mage armour comes into play. By giving mages to much fire power in the early game this could swing the balance to far? That's only my opinion given the general strength of Mage decks.... Saying that the new armour to protect against Mage spell damage may open up the possibility of more supporting weapons for mages.

Having played eld ( I think most people have at some stage) you accept your kris, jasmine drops are there to try and get at least 5/6 health off them quickly ( especially if your playing against a warrior/hunter) before they start to own the board...
    "fairwell, friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!"

Proud member of ETC
    1.28 Tournament winner
    Entertaining the Cosmos

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by LARKEN View Post
    Great idea, but your missing the overiding balancing issues?

Mages are suppose to struggle at the early game because they can own the later rounds.... I think eld in particular is getting grief for being OP... This would tip the balancing scales in the wrong way?

Let's wait for the nxt update and see....
    Well there's the rub. I agree that a Nishaven with 8 resources is like a Mecha Ghidorah given a semi-decent deck, but the key word you used that offends me is "supposed." Why is a Hero "supposed" to have only one mode? Wulven can go lone wolf, wolf pack, or shadow army with a wide variety of weapons. Rogues and Hunters also have a couple different strategy modes. The HunkerDownForFourTurnsThenBombThemToHell strategy is both boring and, quite frankly, not the first image that comes to mind when you think about magic users.

Anyway, I saw this forum has the title "Feedback and Suggestions," not "Hold Your Thoughts Until The Next Update." I ran with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Montanx View Post
    I'm confused, how is Mage early game bad? My lead goes kris kris aldon jasmine a lot. I consider Mage early game among the best. Isn't it just based on ally pool? It's either shadow or human, what's so complicated?

Ok I saw allies were already brought up but still, retreat, Santa research. I had to cut piers cuz so many great 2 options.
    Yes, if my card draw is right the generic ally early game works. My simple early game desire is two things: Something unique to Mages, like the Hunters and Wulven enjoy; and a choice of strategies. In a short, Mages are uninteresting and too monotonic.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Rollover Minutes: Not overpowered

I don't think this is overpowered at all. Consider it a mulligan. You get a bad draw and can't cast anything, your unspent resources convert to Shadow.

Possibly restrict it to only 1 shadow per turn, or even one Shadow energy total. For example:

(2) Sacrifice Magic Wand. Your Hero gains +1 Shadow Energy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vogon Poet; 01-01-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My intention wasn't to offend so apologies, just think outside of "what mages need". Think about the game balance as a whole...
    "fairwell, friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!"

Proud member of ETC
    1.28 Tournament winner
    Entertaining the Cosmos

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by LARKEN View Post
    My intention wasn't to offend so apologies, just think outside of "what mages need". Think about the game balance as a whole...
    Oh I wasn't offended. I suppose there was an emoticon I could have used in there bit just forgot

Anywho, maybe I don't agree with the definition of balance used here. I see a distinct trend that my Mage is always pummeling his opponent while dangling from his last 1 or 2 health. My opponents usually dominate the early game, and this thread was started to brainstorm balancing that out.

Another thing I personally disagree with when it comes to balancing strategies is the idea of crippling, or deliberately nerfing a class to compensate. I am a trading card game veteran who loves deck building above all in a game. I love options and strategy. I think many players are drawn to a game that offers deck construction challenges. I consider a game balanced when a class can build decks to match any opponent and there is no single "best overall deck" for that class. Balance of power is only one part of a balanced game, not the end goal.
    Last edited by Vogon Poet; 01-02-2012 at 02:16 AM.