Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The Magic Wand: Eaarly game for Mages

Mages seem to be al burn and always late to the fight. The one thing that's missing from the Mage class is a good, cheap early game strategy that fits the class. Today mages rely on weenie allies until they build up 4 resources to unload their wrath. Well, all this while there are sparks and pack wolves multiplying, nightshades and monstrous life-infused snakes. Other than ol' Kris, mages got no early game.

So why not have a little early weapon that fits the class? Why not a Magic Wand?

I dreamt up some possibilities below and created the card. It comes out on turn 2 and begins to take control - Mage style.
    Magic Wand5.jpgMagic Wand4.jpgMagic Wand3.jpgMagic Wand2.jpgMagic Wand1.jpg
    Last edited by Vogon Poet; 12-31-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    And here are a couple more ideas:

Magic Wand6.jpgMagic Wand7.jpgMagic Wand8.jpg

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think it is an interesting idea - adding more cards which use shadow energy, allowing heroes more versatility and options, and they don't have to wait till turn 4/5 just to spend it. Would certainly like to see more for other classes as well.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by abazigal View Post
    I think it is an interesting idea - adding more cards which use shadow energy, allowing heroes more versatility and options, and they don't have to wait till turn 4/5 just to spend it. Would certainly like to see more for other classes as well.
    Priests and Mages are the only ones who really suffer in the early game. All the fighting classes and elementals have a good assortment of 2- and 3-cost cards. Priests have nothing until turn 3.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    All your ideas are creative but INSANLY OVERPOWERED.

Even Trolls Considered

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkaX View Post
    The idea is there, rebalancing them is just the next step.

For instance, a wand which lets a wizard spend 1 energy to deal 1 damage to any target? Like how in some games, casters have this basic ranged attack which never runs out?

I feel shadow energy is a viable option which is worth exploring and expanding upon, as it currently seems quite underutilised. But seeing how the design team has quite a bit on their plate ATM, I guess this will have to wait.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkaX View Post
    More overpowered than Poison Arrow, Conversion or Now You're Mine?
    Firstly, the wand is easily killed with common cards in every class. 2 Sparks will do it in.

Second, every ability listed has a common counter, except casting Fa Fireball when MW is cast.

And last, it's all about balance. Every early game offense the Mage has is easily shut down for 2 resources with the exception of Kris, who is easily shut down by himself in any other class.

There may be caveats added to some abilities but I think some early game "Spark" or "Pit Trap" needs to be open uniquely to Mages.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Great idea, but your missing the overiding balancing issues?

Mages are suppose to struggle at the early game because they can own the later rounds.... I think eld in particular is getting grief for being OP... This would tip the balancing scales in the wrong way?

Let's wait for the nxt update and see....
    "fairwell, friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!"

Proud member of ETC
    1.28 Tournament winner
    Entertaining the Cosmos

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, if eladwen is indeed getting a nerf to weaken her late game blasting capabilities, then logic suggests she ought to get options to make her early game stronger to balance out, no?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm confused, how is Mage early game bad? My lead goes kris kris aldon jasmine a lot. I consider Mage early game among the best. Isn't it just based on ally pool? It's either shadow or human, what's so complicated?

Ok I saw allies were already brought up but still, retreat, Santa research. I had to cut piers cuz so many great 2 options.
    Last edited by Montanx; 01-01-2012 at 12:42 AM.