Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Talking Details in Trailer

I had a chance to look at the trailer more closely, and I thought I'd point out some additional information I was able to glean:

• Resources are flipped over regular cards. I'm not sure if there's more to this mechanic or not, but it seems like a great way to avoid resource droughts.
    • All resources are generic - no having 50 of one color and zero of the color you need.
    • Abilities are tied to the Hero type - some cards in the gameplay portion are "Priest Ability"
    • Caught a couple new Hero types: Wolven and Elemental - both look very cool

These are the new (to me, at least) things I caught. What else have you found?

Anticipation is building...can't wait for the Beta to begin!

-Ryan

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If you view the trailer in HD, maybe you can read some of the new cards, something like 45 are shown there quickly

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thumbs up

Yeah - I was looking at those...my favorites:
    "Now You're Mine" and "What Big Teeth" - both Wolven Abilities. Very cool!

I'm digging how the abilities have the symbol in the upper right hand corner to correspond to the Hero type that can cast them.

I also noticed that the Hero's health in the bottom right is dynamic (not something you could do IRL

I'm curious to see how attacking/defending will work with allies (is their damage reflected dynamically, too? Or does damage not persist for Allies?).

Can't wait to see more, Kyle - any timeframe on the Beta?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That's a good question! Ally damage works the same as Heroes. Here is an example:
    Ally #1 with 3 attack 5 health launches an attack against a target ally #2, with 2 attack 4 health.
    1. Ally #1 does an attack animation and you see 3 HP peel off of ally #2, leaving him with 1 health.
    2. Since Ally #2 is still alive, he attacks back, and you see 2 HP peel off of ally #1.
    3. The end result: Ally #1 with 3 HP, Ally #2 with 1 HP

It is a lot easier to keep tack of health than in a real-life tcg

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I like the way that attack and defend sequence flows (i.e. the card that is defending then counter-attacks, if it survives that initial attack).

IRL you'd have a bunch of health tokens covering the cards, so the dynamic adjustment is cool.

I think gameplay will see us going through cards at a slightly faster pace then some other games, because cards are going to become "injured", so to speak.

Good stuff!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I noticed a lot of different card art, especially a giant crocodile/shark that passed by, hopefully it is an ally so I can use it on my team. I also looked more closely at the hero cards, so that I now know their abilities and their names so I don't have to call them
    "hero archer."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Well, from the trailer, the interface looks well-polished and quite easy to use.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkipz223 View Post
    I noticed a lot of different card art, especially a giant crocodile/shark that passed by, hopefully it is an ally so I can use it on my team. I also looked more closely at the hero cards, so that I now know their abilities and their names so I don't have to call them
    "hero archer."
    That does bring up another point I was thinking while figuring out stuff from the trailer: I think I picked up on the fact that all "creatures" (thinking of MTG terminology) in the game are called Allies, but that can potentially be a point of confusion, given that your opponent also has Allies.

I definitely understand that they are allies to their respective Hero, but card descriptions were a bit misleading to me at first as a result: "...deals 4 damage to all allies" My first question was 'why would I want a card that damages the creatures on MY side??'

While I think this is something that we'll get used to quickly, it might be something that is described very clearly so that there is not an initial confusion.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by airhead3 View Post
    That does bring up another point I was thinking while figuring out stuff from the trailer: I think I picked up on the fact that all "creatures" (thinking of MTG terminology) in the game are called Allies, but that can potentially be a point of confusion, given that your opponent also has Allies.

I definitely understand that they are allies to their respective Hero, but card descriptions were a bit misleading to me at first as a result: "...deals 4 damage to all allies" My first question was 'why would I want a card that damages the creatures on MY side??'

While I think this is something that we'll get used to quickly, it might be something that is described very clearly so that there is not an initial confusion.
    That's a good observation. It might also be deliberate in some cases. For example a spell that literally damages all allies, as opposed to a spell that is intended to damage all enemy allies.

Fortunately one of the advantages of a computer based TCG (versus a printed hardcopy version) is that the language of the card can always be adjusted if it proves consistently confusing.