Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

A real mage deck?

Most of the eladwen decks can't even be called mage decks anymore, all you do is to portal and then swarm your opponent.
    So have anyone tried a real mage deck, where you summon rain to slow your opponents down, where you engulf your opponents in poison and flames, where you use the arts of fire, lightning and arcane to punish all your enemies, where you place 3 to 4 researches like a boss, where you have reinforced Aeon call upon a storm to protect you from damage?
    The deck sounds pretty fun to me but not sure how it will work out.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Not really sure that'll work out at the moment. Assume you mean stalling, and using straight out nukes on the hero, then you'd use 4x fireball, 4xlightning, 4x flames and poison? 4 fireballs are 16 damage, 4 lightning is 12 damage. 28 cost for 28 damage. Assume you manage to slap on flames and poison for 4 turns each which I think is a lot, that's again, 1 cost to 1 damage. Not to mention you'd need to stall for so long to get the resources up for efficient nuking... you'd die first way before you can start piling the damage on.

Lightning strikes and Fireballs are actually pretty bad damage for the cost since it's one-use only. If the opponent heals 3-4, you've already missed out a turn playing one of those cards.

You're thought is interested, but probably not viable at this point with the cards available.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    you play a bunch of poison and burn and then your opponent plays a healing spell to get rid of them....there is a reason why we dont play "real" mage decks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I have a mage deck that has won vs some of the top 20 and doesn't even have a single Ally in it lol. If your reading this InDaHole im sure you remember that right b4 you left the game ;P.
    Last edited by Warbane; 03-03-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've been playing such a deck, more or less. The only ally in it is 3 x Aeon. It relies almost completely on direct damage, and on nuking the opponent down as fast as possible while holding off enemy allies with rain delay or disposing of them with lightning, supernova, or Nis' innate ability. It doesn't include the damage over time cards because those are too easily shrugged off by a healing spell, and thus the space in the deck is better used for something else. It works well against human decks, including portal decks. But it has almost no chance against any deck that has healing powers, in particular wulven and elemental decks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by supermof View Post
    Lightning strikes and Fireballs are actually pretty bad damage for the cost since it's one-use only. If the opponent heals 3-4, you've already missed out a turn playing one of those cards.
    I agree with the last point, assuming you CAN heal. I run a hunter and last time I checked I cannot heal. But more to the point, these 2 spells you mention do "pretty bad damage"? OMG where are you from? lol no offense intended here. But 4 damage 3rd turn or 6 with LS is pretty damn good if you ask me.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorter View Post
    I agree with the last point, assuming you CAN heal. I run a hunter and last time I checked I cannot heal. But more to the point, these 2 spells you mention do "pretty bad damage"? OMG where are you from? lol no offense intended here. But 4 damage 3rd turn or 6 with LS is pretty damn good if you ask me.
    It's pretty bad damage in relation to other cards. Blake is 2 cost 3 damage, 4 damage with aldon, cost to damage is better than fireball. Lightning strike is 6 damage, but 2 targets, and only 3 to the hero. If Blake lasts ONE round, it already does more damage than fireball, and equal damage to Lightning strike's damage on both targets, and 2 more if aldon is out. Do you get what I'm getting at? Fireball lasts one round, whereas allies have the potential to last multiple rounds.

Let's assume you have all 4 fireballs in hand, and also assume that you manage to sacrifice a non-useful card each round dealing direct damage to the hero each round use the most resources as possible:

Turn 1: no damage
    Turn 2: no damage
    Turn 3: 4 damage
    Turn 4: 3 damage
    Turn 5: 3 damage
    Turn 6: 8 damage
    Turn 7: 7 damage
    Turn 8: 6 damage
    Turn 9: 3 damage

Total damage = 30.
    Total cost of resources = 28.

Eladwen has 28hp. You need ALL of the fireballs and lightning strikes to kill Eladwen on turn 9. TURN NINE. 2 Blakes untouched can kill Eladwen in FIVE turns and only cost FOUR. It's just math. If you're thinking of stalling then it'll take significantly longer time to kill the opponent like this. You also only have 4 rain delays to stall with.

Lightning Strikes and Fireballs shouldn't be in your deck for the purpose of direct damage to the hero. It should be as a quick nuke to clear allies off the board, unless it will get you the win. If you're using a fireball on the hero in turn 3 then you need to rethink your strategies.

You need to re-read what I wrote. I said it's pretty bad damage for the cost. It's not cost-effective. I have 4 in my deck, but it's not to damage the hero.

And OMG where am I from? If you must know I'm from Hong Kong. You?
    Last edited by supermof; 03-03-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    But would you wanna stall with a mage deck anyways? Mages are quick damage dealers, not stallers. And I don't think it should be called a mage deck either. Your HERO is a mage, that leads human allies to battle. If you're using just the mage and his spells (fireball, lightning strike, etc) then you're essentially a one-man army against another Hero with an army of allies. That doesn't sound like much of a fight to me.

It's Eladwen deck. Not mage deck!
    Last edited by supermof; 03-03-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Fireball and poison are so bad. They need to cost 3 if they were to be viable.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
    Fireball and poison are so bad. They need to cost 3 if they were to be viable.
    I always say that you are entitled to your opinion but if this were magic we'd call it imba, or at least pushing it, and anything less than 3 is just broken. Well of course it is not like Lightning Bolt which is pretty much 3 damage for 1 resource, but still. It would be better if they made it 4 for 4 resource to damage.

And if ppl did not know you can make all those split spells target 1 thing.

@Supermof you forget that she can just whipe Blakes and ANYONE with health 4 or less starting turn 3, soon turn 4.