Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Human Hunter Deck Build Ideas

Most people choose the strongest hero with the best deck build (64% of top 100 players use Eladwen). Am I alone in not finding that fun in a TCG? The fun for me is having a deck nobody thinks can be good and working out a strategy that leads to you winning against an opponent that has the 'strongest' deck. The satisfaction in the win is so much greater. Sure I've played Mage a couple times, owned everyone I faced, but I expected to. So when I take my Victor deck against Eladwen and completely own them (it has happened many times) the thrill of the victory is so much sweeter.

So this thread is for Human Hunters.

Hey fellow hunters, just thought this would be a good place to get discussion going for human hunter builds. Everywhere I look the only hunter build discussions are for Shadow because it has a usable ability, but I chose human as my first deck, and I want to discuss strategy.

Using the hunter specific abilities mainly has anyone had good results? My rank is around 226 or so only using my Victor deck, and I have it loaded with Allies. I start by summoning as many Puwen and Blake allies I can to wittle away their hero first, lay some traps, use retreat to cause them to re-waste resources.

For the wulven hero that has half melee damage, I stocked 4 Special Delivery (but for 4 cost and only 3 damage this ability is subpar next to shadow specific ones)

I only recently found reinforced armor to be helpful against the Wulven weapon.

What deck builds have people had good results with? I try to keep my card count low but always end up with 45+ cards. There has to be a way to utilize the Hunter specific abilites (traps, arrows, hand-looking abilites, Into The Forest) to come out on top.

I know Hunters are incomplete without the weapons being released (Aimed Shot and Rapid Fire are useless now) but I want to stick with it and find a winning strategy with what everyone thinks is the weakest deck.

I have a soft spot for the underdogs...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Lol same here. I am the female Human Hunter. My rank is a little under 200 but cannot win against those Eladwen decks or Wolves. What strategy do you utilize? I do need some more traps, namely the killing ones, and Aldon and that 4/8 dude. Yes, once weaps come in it should be better being a hunter, because, unless you are the Shadow dude, currently we human hunters suck @ss.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hey Sorter, glad I'm not alone. For facing Eladwen I've encountered 2 builds they have: 1) Lots of allies 2) Few allies and Lots of Magic abilities. Same with the male mage. With Eladwen she can only attack 1 of your allies with her ability at a time, so I get as many Puwen and Blake out as I can. Wear her down as much as I can before she gets enough resources for a) Fireball b) Hero Ability c) Sandra Trueblades (ugh).

If she has lots of allies, I use death traps and retreats at the beginning, and use all my allies to focus on hurting Eladwen. If she uses Sandra Trueblade NEVER use retreat on it, she'll just be cast again and your resources will plummet. If she casts something like Lightning Strike and Arcane burst to take out all of my allies, I have 4 Special Deliverys to still get at her hero damage (very useful against Wulven hero Darkclaw since only melee damage is halved). Any allies she plays when I have none out, I use arrows to poison and burn them.

If the mage casts poison and fire on my hero its never been a problem. I have 2 Aldon the braves, to add +1 to my attack, 4 Extra Sharps for +2, 3 Reinforced armor, 2 Cover of Night (very handy if you have a lot of allies out.) so I can usually do massive damage to her each turn and in return the fire/poison only takes 2.

This is far from being a perfect deck, and I have been losing recently with newer changes Ive made to my deck. I'm still trying to find the sweet spot.
    Last edited by Wolverbane; 03-02-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Soft spot for underdogs eh? Go play Jericho Spellbane. I hear his ability has a fizzle rate and sometimes it'll even remove your own cards when you're targetting the opponent's. Now that has got to be more fun and challenging than a hero ability that does nothing.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Yes I lack the death traps and aldons and aeons. Also I do realize bouncing Sandra is the stupidest thing one can do unless, of course, it is your own . I do use the arrows and they sometimes give me the edge I need. Cover of Night and Into the Forest are also very useful in some matches. Running 45 cards (hero included) but not really fairing too well. Hopefully once I get Aldon Aeon and Death traps it'd be better. Also waiting for a weap ><.

Quote Originally Posted by AnAdolt View Post
    Soft spot for underdogs eh? Go play Jericho Spellbane. I hear his ability has a fizzle rate and sometimes it'll even remove your own cards when you're targetting the opponent's. Now that has got to be more fun and challenging than a hero ability that does nothing.
    For now.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The game is imbalanced, and hunters are so so weak.
    Some have mentioned the to be released weapons, but remember other heross also have weapons.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiningWind View Post
    The game is imbalanced, and hunters are so so weak.
    Some have mentioned the to be released weapons, but remember other heross also have weapons.
    The game being imbalanced doesn't mean people should just all play the same deck and not bother trying to find effective strategies with the others.

All heroes will get weapons, yes, but just like any other game, weapons for warriors, hunters etc will be stronger than weapons for mages. Couple that with effective abilities which make weapons even more effective, and all of the sudden mages aren't looking so darn powerful. I think we'll find that the weapons balance out the game more than you think. Soon everyone is going to have to rethink their strategies.

Hunters have the potential to be an effective deck type, once the heroes can use their abilities. I'll probably switch to hunter myself when weapons come out.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi everibody!! I'm a male hunter ( something heartstriker) and i managed after hours of playing to reach rank 360...the hunter deck is really really poor, not only because the hero had not any kind of ability, but because there is really no special card for the Human ranger worthy. Maybe the few that could be effective are tue death trap, at the moment aniway ineffective them too because the enemy know that there is a trap card of that kind... My suggest is remove almost all the hunter's ability cards and buy a load of Rosecult and Aldon.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Even w/ sahdow hunter it's not easy to win...Looks like a big problem w/ my hunter deck is that cards really get burned fast and I end up w/ 0 cards in my hands so only card I can play is the one I draw each turn So bazzar really looks a must have for hunter I belive
    Last edited by Nero; 03-02-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    Even w/ sahdow hunter it's not easy to win...Looks like a big problem w/ my hunter deck is that cards really get burned fast and I end up w/ 0 cards in my hands so only card I can play is the one I draw each turn So bazzar really looks a must have for hunter I belive
    That and Surprise Attack assuming you are outnumbered or just have 1-2 less allies in play.