Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

A New Dawn for A1

It may have come to the attention of some people around the forum that there has been some internal turmoil with A1 recently which has culminated with several prominent figures leaving. This post is to clear a few things up and to explain where A1 now stands.

As of the start of last week, Raph officially stepped down as leader of A1 following the saga that ensued around BlueJet’s Crown tournament and the finals glitch. Since then, Raph has made the decision that this is a permanent move. We have moved quickly to elect a new leader and I am proud to say that I have been seen fit to take over the mantle and lead A1 from now on. Raph and Pete (who has also left), have left very large shoes to fill and have done an amazing job getting A1 to where it is now. From humble beginnings A1 has grown to an alliance of members of all talents and skills with a strong culture of learning, sharing and improving the community. I thank them both personally for all of their commitment and hard work. They are leaving for their own reasons and we respect that decision and thank them both for allowing A1 to continue on their departure.

Many people would have also noticed that it is not just Raph and Pete who have left. We have in fact lost our fair share of people from the guild.

I want to explain the reasons behind the recent turmoil as best as I can and then explain the new era at A1 and how we will move forward from here.

Firstly, there was an increased intensity in the competitiveness of some A1 members. This occurred with the rise of TJ who have proven themselves to be a worthy guild with some excellent players and deckbuilders. There was a lot of discussion that we were focusing too much on being too competitive and we should go back to the core values of what made A1 great to start with and let the competition sort itself out, with other discussion about how far we were prepared to go to win. Needless to say, this caused fracture. We feel that if we continue to hold to our values as they were before all of this drama started, the results will follow. At the same time, we are grateful for the presence of TJ, who continue to challenge us and give us worthy competition and some excellent and exciting matches. We have the utmost respect for TJ and all other guilds and we hope that a healthy, friendly and competitive relationship continue on in the future.

With all that was going on, there were a lot of resignations from A1. Some people felt the environment that we had was no longer fun, and left for the enjoyment of the game. Others simply had lost interest in the game all together, especially with the narrowed meta and lack of clear future being expressed from the developers. Others yet, it saddens me to say, thought that we should use whatever bugs/exploits we had available to get ahead and did not fit in with the current ethos of A1. All members who left did so willingly with nobody being expelled for having done anything wrong (in terms of cheating or using exploits) and all resignations were done so on friendly terms.

So where does that leave us now?

I am happy to say that the remaining members are all committed and united on several key things:

1. To continue to improve the game and the community
    a. As such, we have some exciting initiatives that are aimed at improving the general state of the game and the experience that everyone has playing Shadow Era. We have many new projects and project ideas that are coming along, including Project Omega which we are very excited about and promise will be worth all of the hype. We have also started a new area at our forum designated “Ask A1” in which we invite anyone who wishes to come along and post a question for us that we will endeavour as a guild to help them with – whether this be tactics/strategy, deck building or advice for beginners. I will continue to write my beginners guides and I know many other A1 members are committed to sharing their knowledge and the knowledge of the collective minds of A1. We also have some new exciting changes I will keep secret until we can make them official, all to improve the A1 experience for our members and others

2. To continue to enjoy the game and be challenged by it
    a. We welcome further competition from all guilds and hope to see more competitive play, more guild wars and more tournaments
    b. A1 will remain a place of integrity and with the stance that bugs/exploits used to alter the course of a game (whether that be in quick match or tournament play) does not belong in A1

3. To continue to challenge the meta and stay a step ahead of it
    a. A1 has been known in the past for being able to change the meta with deck releases and posts. We hope to continue to do so in the future. We will continue to share our best decks with the community (once we have counters to it, of course!) in the hopes that we can teach others how to deck craft and show them the strengths of each meta shift as it changes
    b. We will continue to nurture a culture where we play test our best decks against each other and use our knowledge and time to come up with the very best decks possible.

4. To continue to share our knowledge and be challenged by fresh and exciting ideas
    a. There has already been a big shake up at the A1 forums, with many new and exciting changes that are designed to bring about the former atmosphere that existed of a fun place to be, full of camaraderie, sharing of knowledge, advancement of ideas about the game, the future of the game, advanced tactics, deck discussion and how to go about giving back to the community

5. To continue to be the best
    a. We believe that if we go back to the roots of what made A1 great to begin with, results in tournaments and on the ladder will follow. We already have (and have had) some great players who have won, or placed second in, a lot of recent tournaments and we want this success to continue

I am committed to ensuring that A1 continues to be a success and have an all new and dedicated team of A1 leaders surrounding and assisting me.

We will continue to aim to have around 30 members – we will be beginning to recruit again very soon, so if anyone is interested in joining the elite echelons of Shadow Era and shares the values that are listed above, please stay tuned and we hope to see some more great players put their hands up and join our ranks.

Sorry for the wall of text – I tend to ramble a bit sometimes
    Last edited by Wtzky; 12-16-2011 at 03:12 AM.
    Resident dealer of Dead Man's hand of A1: Evolution in Theory

Check out www.a1-alliance.org to find out all about us, and Ask A1! Also now out, Project Omega, a full shadowera Wiki + exclusive strategy guides!

Click for my Beginners Guide to Shadow Era Heroes

Siege on A1 - the toughest challenge yet. Have you got what it takes? Over 17,000 crystals up for grabs!

Recent accolades:
    TJ Gauntlet Finalist!
    PFG Tournament Winner
    PFG 1 & 2 member
    Crown 14 RU
    Guild Wars #1 winners

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well said Wtzky!
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Very nice post, Wtzky. It sounds like the new guild I envisioned for myself to join has come into existence as the reborn A1.

I think you will be a strong leader and I wish you and my remaining friends in A1 all the best with this reorganization, and hope we can continue to collaborate in future.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    +1. Nicely done.
    Jjsia - A1's Berserker Master
    A1 Alliance - Evolution in Theory.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Congrats on the promotion Dr. Zoidberg!.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There was a lot of discussion that we were focusing too much on being too competitive and we should go back to the core values of what made A1 great to start with and let the competition sort itself out, with other discussion about how far we were prepared to go to win.
    Which side were Ralph and Pete on? The side of "let's see how far we can go to win!" or the side of "we are too competitive!"

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Who's Ralph?

I'm sure Pete and Raph will tell you, if you ask. Send them a PM, Wildmore.

Sorry for trolling, Wtzky It's good natured though

p.s. Who is this Dawn you speak of? Is she Shadow Era's 5th confirmed female?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Everything cool but, "we will continue to share our decks (only if we have counters for it)." I still dont get why guilds that want to "help beginners" would hide deck info just because its good and cant be countered easily. I know you have made public a lot of decks, but as you point out yourself, only because they have lost their value and can be countered effectively. Sigh

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Excellent post, Wtzky.

Superb job, I wish A1 all the best!!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    As you know, english is not my main and maybe I didn't understand this right, so I want to ask to be sure:

Quote Originally Posted by Wtzky View Post
    Others yet, it saddens me to say, thought that we should use whatever bugs/exploits we had available to get ahead and did not fit in with the current ethos of A1
    This means thas some member in A1 know about how to use bugs/exploits and didn'r notify that to wulven? this means that MAYBE they have used it for his own benefit? I know that after that you said:

Quote Originally Posted by Wtzky View Post
    All members who left did so willingly with nobody being expelled for having done anything wrong (in terms of cheating or using exploits) and all resignations were done so on friendly terms.
    But that doesn't mean that they don't had used it (maybe with or without you knowing) and don't advise wolven of the bugs/exploits. Don't want to start a war or anything, I'm just asking to know better what happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I was soundly defeated by b0hater 1-2. Nicely done!
    Team Juggernauts ELDER
    Winner of TLOTpSGR 1.28 Tournament
    PFGs member