Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

1.292 Moonstalker Hide 'n' Seek Beatdown (WIP)

Overview

Hello, there, fellow SE players. Reshiram99 here with my first true competitive deck of 1.292! As you could probably tell from the title, this is another Moonstalker build. Moonstalker's new 1.29 ability is amazing, and is the bane of all ally-based decks. It's also rather cheap at just 3 SE. Combine this with Shadow Font and Darkclaw ain't got nothin' on this stall power baby! So naturally, I had to set to work. This deck is based on a very simple concept; spam Moonstalker's ability and beat the opponent down. So now, I present to you, the 100% original, built from scratch- Moonstalker Hide 'n' Seek Beatdown!

The Deck List

Moonstalker

4 Infernal Gargoyle
    3 Plasma Behemoth
    4 Belladonna
    4 Medusil
    4 Pack Wolf

19 allies

3 Captured Prey
    3 Now You're Mine
    3 Full Moon
    2 Shriek of Vengeance
    2 Acid Jet
    3 Shadow Font

16 abilities

4 Wrath of the Forest

4 Items

Total 39 cards+ 1 Hero

Or you can just go here

This deck is still a work in progress, so I'm still tinkering here and there. Still, this is the base concept of the deck. Get that Bazaar up, draw dem Shadow Fonts and SPAM MOONSTALKER'S ABILITY MWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAH.....

Strategy

Now for some strategy and how to win with this deck you miserable losers You will ideally draw at least one Pack Wolf, and will definitely get at least one three drop (the hell are the chances of it NOT happening? I know this is 40 cards, but..). Your plan of attack is to mainly get some board presence with your allies and NYM/CP. After that, get a Bazaar up and running so you get some card flow going for you. Shadow Fonts should come flowing nice and fast, and after that, it's just a matter of playing more allies and hiding every turn.

Tips

- It's ok to sac one Shadow Font early, but don't sac any more unless the situation is absolutely dire.

- Try to keep at least one Shriek and Acid Jet in hand to be ready for any item your opponent throws at you (damn you Calmdown and your Shriek nerf grrr)

- Full Moons are dead weight early, but don't sac more than one or two if necessary.

- Belladonna is to be played in conjunction with Moonstalker's ability on turn 4 to eliminate opposing 3 drops and re-establish board control when going second against a typical human opening.

- Plasma Behemoth is the finisher. If you get him in uncontested, it's usually gg.

Cards which I may add

- Rabid Bite over ???.

- Chimera over ???.

- Bad Santa over Wrath of the Forest, perhaps?

Conclusion

I hope you've enjoyed my deck! It's still a Work in Progress, but I think what I have at the moment is pretty good. Please leave advice and feedback on how I could improve. Until then, thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Reshiram99; 12-12-2011 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Link to where you can see the deck visually
    Fire Snakes are high in Vitamin D.

Account for Gondorian to put crystalz into: Reshiram99

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Why only x3 PB? Why not x4?
    IGN: TJ BlueJet24

Founder of Team Juggernauts

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluejet24 View Post
    Why only x3 PB? Why not x4?
    4 isn't necessary. PB is a late game card and you will almost always get 1 by turn 5. And I want to keep this thing trimmed at 40 cards total.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Moonstalker is a good hero and a fun deck, glad that you have found a competitive deck.

Some comment:-

1) chances of getting a pack wolf @ T2 is 56%. Not really good if you need to rely on a T2 drop.
    2) chances of getting a 3cc ally @ T3 is 87%. This is ok.
    3) Chances of getting a PB @ T5 is 60%. Not really high too if you rely on it for dmg. So I would do what Bluejet proposed, bump it to 4 copies.

Why did you choose Medusil? I would think Bas wolf is aBetter choice. You don't have that many weenies to make full use of Medusil ability.
    A1's Mustard-Seed Knight of Hope (IGN:A1 atomzed)
    Also a member of PFG1 and PFG2
    Rank #7 in Inaugural Meltdown Tourney
    Singapore Rep for Street Fighter Tournament

"Rapid analysis, accurate judgement, and superb powers of concentration...That is all we need." - Lezard Valeth

Proud member of A1 - Evolution in Theory
    Project Omega - Card Analysis and Strategy Guide

My Articles
    Deck size and Probability - A case for (slightly) bigger deck
    Meltdown Tier and Payout Analysis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Here are some suggestion from my side:
    • The deck and strategy seems good, on my opinion moonstalker's ability in combination with Shadow Font is a great supply getting board control, therefore an ally-heavy deck makes sense.
    • If you want to play a fast deck (with 16 mid-cost allies), your hand cards will get reduced very quickly, therefore I would suggest to think about some Bad Santa (in addition / replacing Bazaar) -> + 1-3 Bad Santa, -1 Bazaar
    • Also Jeweler's Dream is helping you getting even faster with 2 additional ressources (and getting 1 more ally out makes a big difference, when you use moonstalker's ability)- > +1-3 Jeweler's Dream
    • Captured Prey is a main advantage from Wulven game and should always be 4 cards in deck. For Now Your're Mine there should be as much as possible -> +1 Captured Prey, -1 Now Your're Mine
    • Shriek may work as many opponents use ongoing abilities in their deck, but you will loose 1 ressource and as you want to be fast...maybe you drop one (keep one for Darkclaw decks), making place for cards, fitting better to your strategy (same thoughts about Acid Jet, drop both?)
    • You might struggle against Eladwen. Tell me, if you win some death races (I think not, it's very hard).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomzed View Post
    Moonstalker is a good hero and a fun deck, glad that you have found a competitive deck.

Some comment:-

1) chances of getting a pack wolf @ T2 is 56%. Not really good if you need to rely on a T2 drop.
    2) chances of getting a 3cc ally @ T3 is 87%. This is ok.
    3) Chances of getting a PB @ T5 is 60%. Not really high too if you rely on it for dmg. So I would do what Bluejet proposed, bump it to 4 copies.

Why did you choose Medusil? I would think Bas wolf is aBetter choice. You don't have that many weenies to make full use of Medusil ability.
    Thanks for the percentages. I'm too lazy to do it in my own Now to answer your questions:

1) I'll take this into account. Have you accounted for the chance of a Bazaar? The chances of getting one or the other are pretty high. 2 drops aren't THAT vital, I think they're more about going first than anything. So my Pack Wolves serve more as mid-game allies, dropping them with other allies to help clean up the board and pounding down. If I get them on turn 2, great. Moar board control for me. But if I don't, it's no big worry.

2) Damn, 13% chance of NOT getting a 3 drop? That's why I never got 3 drops when I only ran 3 Gargoyle 3 Medusil... 40 cards really blows everything outta the water.

3) PBs are more like finishers if the board is clear or nothing poses much of a threat to the Behemoth. I can play without Behemoths. Just slows down the process of board control. Belladonnas, on the other hand, are my real board retainers. Drop this and hide, then destroy anything your opponent played on turn 3. If I don't get one on turn 4, I can play a Gargoyle+Full Moon or simply a Behemoth to do what Bella failed.

4) Medusil>Bad Wolf because her ability grants more board control. The healing of Bad Wolf never really happens, because your opponent will likely kill it in one shot with an Aldon-ed Jasmine or something similar. Medusil, while also having the same health as Bad Wolf, has an ability which is actually useful. It really helps in taking down Aeons and such, if there's no PB.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramirez Delgado View Post
    Here are some suggestion from my side:
    • The deck and strategy seems good, on my opinion moonstalker's ability in combination with Shadow Font is a great supply getting board control, therefore an ally-heavy deck makes sense.
    • If you want to play a fast deck (with 16 mid-cost allies), your hand cards will get reduced very quickly, therefore I would suggest to think about some Bad Santa (in addition / replacing Bazaar) -> + 1-3 Bad Santa, -1 Bazaar
    • Also Jeweler's Dream is helping you getting even faster with 2 additional ressources (and getting 1 more ally out makes a big difference, when you use moonstalker's ability)- > +1-3 Jeweler's Dream
    • Captured Prey is a main advantage from Wulven game and should always be 4 cards in deck. For Now Your're Mine there should be as much as possible -> +1 Captured Prey, -1 Now Your're Mine
    • Shriek may work as many opponents use ongoing abilities in their deck, but you will loose 1 ressource and as you want to be fast...maybe you drop one (keep one for Darkclaw decks), making place for cards, fitting better to your strategy (same thoughts about Acid Jet, drop both?)
    • You might struggle against Eladwen. Tell me, if you win some death races (I think not, it's very hard).
    1) Yes, that's the reason I was drawn to Moonstalker. It destroys ALL ally decks and has a lot of complementing abilities to get board control (Captured Prey, Now You're Mine, etc). My favorite anti-ally hero, Elementalis, has been nerfed to hell and back so I decided to start with Moonstalker.

2) This deck is more of a beatdown, hence the name. It relies on having 2-3 decently powered allies on the board at all times, beating down gradually on the hero, while you can get constant cover from opposing ally attacks with Shadow Font spam.

3) I was considering Jeweller's Dream, but I think it clogs up the flow of the deck. I'd rather play more allies instead of getting a weapon which is somewhat easily destroyed. Moonstalker's ability helps, but it doesn't help against any type of item destruction. In particular, I prefer having a Bella out on turn 4 to destroy any opposing 3 drop. Sure, I have Moonstalker's ability, but I like having the extra card on turn 4, when my hand is starting to run a little dry. Also, Bella makes for a very nice ally with another 3 drop. Will try it though.

4) No room, unfortunately. 2 NYM is too little for me, so I'd rather keep it at 3. CP is more a card to help my allies to get board control, so isn't a 4 of. I could try it sometime, see how it works.

5) Ths deck is more of a gradual Beatdown and isn't too fast paced, so Shriek can stay. 1 is way too little in 40 cards, there is just almost no chance of drawing it. And Acid Jet- item destruction isn't as prominent as it was in 1.25-ish, since there's no Rapid Fire Gwen spamming Soul Seeker to hit your hero for 8 damage a turn, but it's still important. I like to keep a few utility cards for versatility.

6) Haven't faced any Eladwen yet, have only played 2 matches with this deck and won both. One was against another Moonstalker. I went second with no drops until a Dark Flayer (wasn't running Pack Wolves initially) on turn 4 and came back to win an easy victory eventually with all 3 PB on the board. I'm surprised he didn't rage quit lol.
    Last edited by Reshiram99; 12-11-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I've replaced the 3 Bazaar with 3 Wrath of the Forest. Bazaar is just not reliable enough. Also, as ironic as this sounds, I might need to cut back on the Shadow Font. I don't use Moonstalker's ability enough to justify 4 copies. Or maybe I'm facing terrible players.

Current W / L / D record:4-0-0

Rating: From 0 to 160

Edit: Reduced Shadow Font to 3 and added 1 WotF since I never seem to get one
    Last edited by Reshiram99; 12-12-2011 at 05:04 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    From my experience you want to keep Shadow Font at 4 copies. It is the perfect tool to use against those peksy warriors like Logan. Shadow Font + Plasma Behemoth = made of win xD
    Proud member of the Shadow Era Design Team
    Love and Peace!
    Former Physical World Champion
    Card Advantage 101

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojumbo View Post
    From my experience you want to keep Shadow Font at 4 copies. It is the perfect tool to use against those peksy warriors like Logan. Shadow Font + Plasma Behemoth = made of win xD
    Well, let's see