Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

V1.5 Moonstalker Deck - Behemoth’s Resurrection

Motivation

This deck is a combination of DC Lone Wolf style and fatty allies overrun. Its mentioned to beat any opponent hero style. The play style is to control the opponent, starting slowly setting up the defense, than coming out with fatties and overrun the board.

Deck - 40 cards

Hero (1)

Moonstalker

Allies (8)
    4 Plasma Behemoth
    4 Shadow Knight

Abilities (31)
    3 Evil Ascendant
    4 Lone Wolf
    4 Shadow Font
    4 Captured Prey
    3 Now You’re Mine
    3 What big Teeth
    4 Bad Santa
    2 Regeneration / 2 Full Moon
    2 Ley Line Nexus
    2 Crescendo

Strategy

Start phase

The standard initiation is to start with T3: WBT/T4: LW and built up resources and SE. Alternatively play T3: EA/T4: LW.

If MS loses health or if you don't have board control, let it be. Most players focus on a fast start by using low-/mid-cost allies, getting an early board control. This deck doesn’t try to catch up this race, it just ignores it.

Middle phase
    After T5 this deck can get active as now you have the possibility to bring PB, cleaning the board with plasma bolts.

A standard 3-turn phase:
    1. After collecting min. 3 SE, play out a hard hitter (like PB) and protect him with MS's ability. The opponent will now have to wait.
    2. Attack opponent allies with your PB and collect first new SE. The opponent will now concentrate all power to kill your PB.
    3. As PB is killed, you heal 2 health with LW and collect your second SE. This is a dead turn. You can use it to resurrect your PB by playing a SK without protection. Your opponent will deal damage to your hero.
    4. Now you heal again 2 health, collect your third SE and start over again at 1.
    Final phase
    At the latest of T10 this deck is getting uncontrollable (for the opponent), now you play 2 hard Hitters in 1 turn. As longer the game last, as easier it will be to control now. While the opponent hero will occasionally lose health, MS is able to regenerate itself during the whole game. While the allies of opponent march 1 by 1 to graveyard, you still have all allies in play/hand and never come into the situation to miss allies.

Allies and combo’s

Behemoth

One of the main cards in this deck is Behemoth (PB). Mages have fireball (Cost 3, Dmg 4), we have the plasma bolt (Cost 3, Dmg 4). As MS can protect his allies, there is a good chance for PB to survive 1 round. No chance to stop this plasma bolt, no Armor (like Armor of Ages), no Weapon, no ability (like Rain Delay or Cover of Night) can hinder it.
    Nice side-effect in T5: By collecting 5 SE till then, MS can protect the first PB over 2 turns. If you manage to collect 7 SE, you can protect 3 turns in a row.

Shadow Knight
    Shadow Knight (SK) offers many nice combo’s and is primary used for resurrection. The full power of SK comes up, because no low- or mid-cost allies pollute your graveyard. Important: Keep 1 SK in hand all the time, never sac him.
    • Combo – 2 SK’s: Playing 1 SK on board while keeping the second SK in hand. The opponent kills the SK, but in the next turn you bring your second SK from hand, receiving the first SK back to hand –> same situation as beginning, but opponent was distracted (and that’s our goal)!
    • Combo – 2 SK’s + LW: Same play like first Combo, but you heal every turn, that’s awesome.
    • Combo – 2 SK’s + EA: EA doesn’t matter as SK’s just get reborn turn for turn.
    • Combo – 3 SK’s (after T10): You can play the same Combo with 2 SK’s on board and 1 SK in hand.
    • Combo – 2 SK’s + PB (after T10): Play PB on board, keep 2 SK’s in hand. After PB is killed, bring first SK to play, receiving PB back to hand. After first SK is killed, bring second SK + PB on Board, receiving first SK back to hand.
    • Mill-style + 2 SK: Play 1 SK on board, keep 1 SK + 6 cards in hand. While skipping the draw-phase, you can play the first Combo turn per turn.

Basic card tactics
    • Evil Ascendant is not only killing all low-/mid-cost allies but also helps to get own crippled allies into graveyard for resurrection. Don’t play EA against Gravebone or Victor and be aware that priests, rogues and Ter Adun can easily destroy items (depending on start hands play it, holding copies in hand or sac all). Apart from that this card should always be played.
    • Lone Wolf is working great against Novas and all situations where you lose/miss your allies on board. Don’t play LW against Jericho, for all other heroes this card should always be played.
    • Shadow Font can help to keep MS ability going, I already managed to keep hiding 5 turns in a row (enough time for EA to kill everything and PB to kill hero)
    • Captured Prey is most to be used at enemy fatties (like PB, Ogloth, Aeon) but can also be used at key allies like Jasmine, DMT, Marshland Sentinel etc.
    • Now You’re Mine is best to be used at 3cc allies like Jasmine, Aldon, Infernal Gargoyle, Bad Wolf, DMT.
    • What big Teeth can be used to ping damage enemy hero while allies fight at board. Enemy allies get quicker killed by EA if they in addition attack your hero too, receiving WBT kickback. WBT also helps to reduce durability from armor and weapon. As this deck slows down game, you will have many turns to play, making this 3cc card really valuable. Be aware that priests, rogues and warriors can easily destroy items, but if you have 3 resources without any useful card to play (e.g. in T3), get WBT on board as it also cost your opponent 3-4 resources to destroy.
    • Bad Santa is good to be used in T2, if starting as second player. Otherwise it should be an emergency card to get a missing card in hand. Normally this deck plays 0-1 cards per turn making a draw engine optional. I rather sac BS against mages.
    • Regeneration is a very specific counter against mages to “neutralize” 2 Fireballs, get rid of poison and flames, otherwise sac it.
    • Ley Line Nexus is a good counter against King’s Pride, Anklebreaker, Soul Seeker, Dagger of Unmaking etc. Every hero has some good weapons or armors that can change game balance, LLN is very helpful to counter.
    • Crescendo is a very powerful card, protecting your hero, giving opportunity to attack with WBT without receiving kickback and killing all enemy allies. I rather sac it against warriors, priests or rogues, but for any other hero I use it. A usual gameplay is:
      • T1: Play Crescendo. Your opponent will attack your hero with all of his allies (normally -1 or -3 durability)
      • T2: Play PB or SK and activate MS ability. Your opponent misses a turn.
      • T3-4: Keep playing another PB or SK (or SF + MS ability). Your opponent can now decide to kill your fatties or attack your hero to disarm crescendo. In either case you win.
      • T5: This is the turn, where you can do what you want. You will get board control.
    Special game against Eladwen
    As Eladwen is one of the strongest opponent against MS, here are some additional tips:
    • Use LW to regenerate as much as possible. As Eladwen can kill your allies with his ability you can only attack if Eladwen has no SE to use. Therefore the first allies are only feed to deplete SE. The main plan is to get SK Combo working and keep holding up pressure.
    • Neutralize the fireballs/lighting strikes with Regeneration, if possible, keep 1 Regeneration for possible Poison Gas/Engulfing Flames.
    • 4 FS + 4 LS - 2 Regeneration will let MS remain with 8 health, therefore Mages rely on performing ally damage (or 3-4 Novas) to win. Try to kill allies as soon as possible, with every ongoing LW-turn you can heal and neutralize performed burn damage, use SF, NYM and CP to slow down game.
    Here is one example, how to deal with Eladwen:

Special game against Gwenneth

In V1.5 there is a new strong hero born:
    • Gwenneth uses Soul Seeker + Aimed Shot + special ability to create a 5 DMG weapon, using it twice with Rapid Fire (without durability loss).
    • Soul Seeker allows to heal up to 2x3 health per turn.
    • With 1cc Into the Forest Gwenneth can protect herself for 4 turns. In addition with Night Prawler Gwenneth can really be devastating if opponent has no weapon to destroy NP.
    The tips to beat Gwenneth are shown in following example and rely again on SK Combo:

Update:
    Version 1.29 (post #2 - #59)
    - 1 Plasma Behemoth
    - 2 Regeneration
    - 2 Bazaar
    - 1 Full moon

+ 1 Ogloth
    + 1 Evil Ascendant
    + 2 Ley Line Nexus
    + 2 Crescendo

Tutorials from V1.29:
    Moonstalker vs. Eladwen
    Moonstalker vs. Logan
    Moonstalker vs. Amber
    Last edited by Ramirez Delgado; 06-04-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Interesting! What's your results so far?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Just 1 Evil Ascendant, 1 Bazaar and 1 Speedstrike? Might as well not play them, the chances of getting one early is quite small. And what about Rabid Bite? It is less useful now, but still quite nice for ally control. 4 WBT is vital as well. You might want to add some Acid Jet too. It helps deal with more expensive armours Shriek can't touch, such as Snow Sapphire, which would otherwise give you a very hard time. I personally like running 2 Shriek 2 AJ In my Moonstalker for versatility. How's your deck going so far? The concept is solid, but you need to tweak it a bit.
    Fire Snakes are high in Vitamin D.

Account for Gondorian to put crystalz into: Reshiram99

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for your feedback.

Till now most of the games are won, my first battles against 300+ rated decks were successful too and my rate increases (at the moment 270).

Yesterday I played (and lost) an interesting challenge against an Ter Adun (306 rated). He played an similar strategy like this deck:
    In addition he used Blood Frenzy and Jeweler's Dream at beginning to quicken his game and getting out some Infernal Gargoyle and Bad Wolf on top (no problem for Lone Wolf + Now You're Mine until T5). After T9 I couldn’t control his ally-army anymore because he upgraded his gargoyles with King’s Pride to hard hitters (or better hard “defenders”).
    I think, as optimization more Shadow Font’s would be helpful, but exchange for which card? Maybe Full moon? Any proposal?

This is the same problem for the suggestions of Reshiram99: Of course some more EA, Speedstrike, WbT or in addition RapidBite would help, but discarding some existing deck cards may result in an unbalanced game play.

1 Bazaar is enough as it comes once in my hand and mainly should force the final phase (if I get it sooner, I keep it in hand).

Acid Jet can help to get rid off high-cost items, but let’s face it: the Wulven are not good in item handling. Warriors have Smashing Blow, Priest have Destroy Arms and Rogues have Stop Thief! (though it costs 5).
    My solution is to use plasma bolts and ignore these Snow Sapphire or Armor of Ages out there. But yes, sometimes it makes sense to get rid of some items (like The King's Pride), but then I would suggest to use WbT + Speedstrike instead of Acid Jet.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Would you mind sharing your replays with us so that we can know how you play with this deck exactly? Ign?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I once was a mighty Moonstalker like yourself, then I took an arrow in the knee.
    Last edited by Drakkon; 12-11-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drakkon View Post
    i once was a mighty moonstalker like yourself, then i took an arrow in the knee.
    GeT tHe HeLl OuT

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwei View Post
    Would you mind sharing your replays with us so that we can know how you play with this deck exactly? Ign?
    I don't know how to share replays, but I created a youtube video. The game against Boris (rate 253) was not great, maybe I can create a better one showing the deck strategy in the next days.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramirez Delgado View Post
    I don't know how to share replays, but I created a youtube video. The game against Boris (rate 253) was not great, maybe I can create a better one showing the deck strategy in the next days.
    Just give you IGN (Ingame name) then we can search your previous games & obs them

Even Trolls Considered

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Judging from the video, his IGN is Ramirez Delgado, same as his forum name